air filter saturated with oil

My car is an old Nissan Sunny 1.6 F reg. I'm getting lots of oil coming out of the oil breather pipe onto the air filter, especially if I give it lots of revs. Is this likely to be expensive to fix as I'm wondering whether to just scrap it and get something else.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Reply to
Brian

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@dfasfd.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Piston rings badly worn.

Bin it.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, I think I will then.

Cheers

Reply to
peter

Simply remove the breather from the airfilter and point it down into the bottom of the engine compartment..

Reply to
SimonJ

SimonJ ( snipped-for-privacy@mine.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And how is this going to stop the worn rings letting the combustion pressures past to the extent that it emptys the sump through the breather?

It's not. It's just going to lob oil on the road.

K3wl.

Reply to
Adrian

But if you aim it right it'll help stop the underside rusting :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Just needs a catch tank (ie. beer can) zip tieing up somewhere in the engine compartment. Empty once every few weeks. Job jobbed.

Reply to
SteveH

Wynns oil additive will reduce the problem.

Reply to
SteveB

SteveB (sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, replacing the rings will reduce the problem.

It's an F-reg Sunny. It needs killing anyway, purely on the grounds of taste.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

I had an Austin 1300 like that - but it was leaks rather than blows that did it.

Sadly, the oil never went on the bits that were actually busy rusting.

Reply to
Guy King

f reg sunny, bit late for that

Reply to
jOn

Well, I actually liked having a car that virtually nobody would think of nicking.

Reply to
Brian

You've obviously not got an old British bike then. The engine breather on a

1958 BSA A10 650cc twin was great for keeping the drive chain wet with oil. I once broke some piston rings 150 miles from home and eventually melted one piston and still got it home on one and a bit cylinders and a gallon can of oil all used up to top up the oil every 20 miles, with a friend following in his car in case I broke down, but he had to stop halfway because his windscreen was covered in my oil.
Reply to
SteveB

What do you mean :-), my son's 1985 Cherry hasn't got any rust to speak of and has never failed an MOT for it or anything else either. It also drives better than a newish Peugeot 106 I tried recently, not that that's anything to get excited about. Nissans only rusted before approximately 1985, my 82 Sunny had to have one sill in 1996 at 170,000m. Anything before 82 was bad in the extreme for rust.

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Heh. When I was little, my dad had a 1979 Datsun Violet. The mechanical condition was superb. One could hear the clock ticking when sat in it with the engine idling, which was quite impressive for an average car of it's day. But he had to get rid of it after a year or two, because the damn thing was rotting to bits!

Reply to
Stu

SteveB (sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

More's the pity.

Reply to
Adrian

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@dfasfd.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you've found the one good reason to own/drive it...

Reply to
Adrian

I doubt if the rings are worn anyway, it's not a Ford, more likely they are just gummed up with varnish and stuck in the ring grooves, losing compression. An overnight soak with Redex down the plug holes will free them up a good bit, but there's more powerful cleaners available like Power Booster from Ecotek which is amazing stuff on old engines.

Reply to
SteveB

probably just has a blocked up breather system that needs servicing

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful