oil breather pipe to airbox on tdi

when i baught my 110 defender the turbo was piped up 2 a snorkle bypassing the airbox, i have been told that ure not suposed to connect the snorkle untill u r waiding, then to put the origional pipe back on and waiding plug out wen ure done....how true is this, and has any1 else heard this.... i have now removed the airbox completly and stuck a k+n cone filter directly to the turbo via a short piece of air intake pipe, my other question is how inportant is the oil breather pipe going to the airbox can i cut it short say

4" and put a breather filter on it r does it have 2 go into my intake pipe, my thaughts r that when it was in the airbox it was helping 2 keep the impeller in the turbo lubed.. can any1 please shed sum lite on this 4 me.....
Reply to
mudmonsters

A properly designed and fitted snorkel can be used full time with no problems. Depending on the snorkel design, the airbox may be redundant.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My 300tdi 90 has a Mantec one on it.

Its connected all the time, and fully sealed (I Hope :) )

It uses the airbox, and has an ITG filter in there.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

In fact, isn't a snorkel _intended_ to be fitted full-time? Certainly for desert driving, and some have a swirly thing in the top that is claimed to improve air quality. I've never heard of anyone disconnecting the snorkel after wading. Leave it where it is.

As for wading plugs, they should be fitted for wading, and removed afterwards, in principle. But you don't need to do this as long as you remove them regularly (say every service) to allow any accumulated gunk to drain out.

Reply to
Rich B