Oil level/pressure engine light on in 200 Tdi engine

People Hi,

The low level/pressure engine light has started to blink when my 200Tdi (Discovery) engine is idling.

Increasing rpm results in the light going off.

I checked the oil and the level was too high on the deepstick I removed the excess oil (using the tube and syringe from inside the dipstick tube) and now the low level/pressure light is sometimes just flickering momentarily when the rpm drop from around 3000 to idle.

Any test I could run on the electric sensor or pump? Or other thing I should do/check/know?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I had this on my V8 Rangie (Reggie) no less that a week after purchase. Turned out to be a duff switch which cost ukpence to replace.

worth trying a new switch if they are similar price prior to any engine rebuilds. I guess you could plumb in a oil pressure guage where the switch goes or even both if you get a t connector which should give more defianate readings.

You just need to know what thread the current orriface is (ohhh er!) and get the appropriate connectors.

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

In article , Pantelis Giamarellos writes

Try replacing the sender first.

Reply to
Marc Draper

And make sure you have fresh oil and filter - worn oil will thin and cause loss of pressure. Too much oil can be worse than too little - how did that happen? Maybe the oil level has gone up (water in the oil?) and it is thinner as a result?

Reply to
danny

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I will start by changing the sender first. Adding an oil pressure gauge is also a good idea, or at least buying one and monitoring the pressure for a while since the car in question is a genuine camel trophy Discovery and I do not wish to modify it by adding anything that was not originaly fitted.

The surplus oil was my mistake. Last time I added oil the car must have been at an angle and the reading of the dipstick was not true apparently showing less quantity because of the gradient of the soil's level.

Oil change and oil filter change will also be done tomorrow.

thanks again for your kind input.

Take care PAntelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

LOL! it really is a Camel origional!...Whats the part number for the Soil dipstick? could come in handy

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D