Oil light question update

Well, seems to have oil pressure, approx 25lb at tickover going to 65lb.with revs. Dont know if that is right or not. Friend did it with test guage. Put NEW sender unit on it and oil light still lights up. I dare not use it really until I get to the bottom of it. Getting a bit foxed as surely there can be no electrical fault as if I disconnect the wire to the sender the light goes out!!! Stuart

Reply to
tomtom

The wire to the switch may be shorting to the block somewhere and simply removing the wire may also stop it shorting, try leaving it connected but move the wire. Sometimes new switches can be faulty.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for that Martin, off to do it now, in the hissing rain need to know asap so a man's gotta do etc Stuart

Reply to
tomtom

If you know it has got pressure then dont worry about it. Just disconnect the light and forget about it!. Quickest fix will probably be to run a new wire all the way from the sender to the dash.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hello again folks, all seems well, good pressure but still illumiating so off with the terminal till I can replace wire. Thanks for the help, and re-assurance all

Reply to
tomtom

On or around Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:33:46 GMT, "tomtom" enlightened us thusly:

sounds about right for a series, or indeed most engines other than V8s. Early V8s run about 30lb at 2500.

I reckon the new sender needs checking. Make sure it's the right one.

Try this, too: remove the sender, disconnect the ignition or engine-stop solenoid on a diesel (or leave the engine stop pulled out on manual stopper ones) and have an assistant crank the engine while you watch to see if oil comes out of the hole the sender screws into. Make sure you do the disconecting bit so the engine doesn't start.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All just fine now, thanks to all who gave me info, Im sure there will be many more questions in the future. Stu

Reply to
tomtom