72 Beetle Oil Light wont turn off

My oil light started coming on after ~20 of driving.

My mechanic

1) replaced the sender 2) replaced the oil pump

but the light wont turn off. The mechanic says the engine may be "just old". But that does not make sense. THere are only 30k miles on teh rebuild, adn it runs very strong.

Any ideas? What else could this be?

Thanks - Dan

Reply to
dan mcgraw

First- remove the sender and screw in a pressure gauge. It takes a 1/8" pipe size. Then you will know for sure what the pressure is.

If it really is low, could be caused by blockage in the oil pickup or even a pickup tube that is loose and sucking air.

There could be other things, but I would start there.

Even a completely worn out engine will produce *some* pressure at higher RPM if the pump is running and picking up oil.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Before Jim's advice, you could try this to rule electronic stuff out.=20 Take off the wire from the oil pressure sender and see that it does not contact ground. Is the oil light still on? If it's on, you have=20 electrical trouble somewhere. If the light goes out and lights again when you put it back to the sender, proceed with Jim's pressure measurement.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The light does not turn on till the engine warms up....I did some googling and people describe similar scenario with a bad pressure releif valve....does that sound right?

Is that a hard job? (replacing the pressure release valve?)

-thansk again!

Before Jim's advice, you could try this to rule electronic stuff out. Take off the wire from the oil pressure sender and see that it does not contact ground. Is the oil light still on? If it's on, you have electrical trouble somewhere. If the light goes out and lights again when you put it back to the sender, proceed with Jim's pressure measurement.

Reply to
dan mcgraw

"dan mcgraw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No. All you need is a big flat bladed screwdriver and maybe a set of vice grips to grip the handle of the screwdriver with to get some leverage. You have either one or two of these depending on your engine case. Look on the bottom of the engine case on the driver's side (left side) at the front and at the back. Look for what looks like a big flat screw head in both of those spots. Unscrew one or two of them (whichever you have... the are right-hand threaded) and there will be a spring and a piston thingie up in the bore that is revealed once you remove the screw thingie. If the bore is all gummed up then that may be your problem. Maybe try cleaning the bore out really good and rub some motor oil on the walls of the bore afterwards and replace the little piston(s) and spring(s) and take it for a test drive and see if that helped. Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into buying one of the replacement oil pressure valve thingies that are adjustable to let you change your oil pressure. They are bad news, or at least they are in my experience.

Reply to
Shaggie

Lemme fill in the part Shagie forgot.............

Clean the goo off the bottom of the engine block, Then,........

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

MUADIB® wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

hahaha! I can relate to that cuz you know what? I just got my Jeep running 100% again today. I was having trouble getting it to idle until I found a hole that wasn't plugged on the intake (was hidden by part of the carb) that was big enough for me to fit my thumb in. I plugged it up and set the timing and it ran great... So one of the last things I needed to do to get back on/off the road with it was to fix the leaking rear differential (2 minutes of pounding with a hammer did that just fine...seriously...) and then refill the rear differential. When I first bought this Jeep (the PO never took it offroad) I wanted to change the fluids everywhere so I did. Today I couldn't find the damn fill plug on the differential anywhere! I finally posted to the Jeep newsgroup and someone told me where it was. Sure enough... After I scraped off an inch or so of mud from the spot the dude described... PRESTO! There it was! I took today and tomorrow off from work so I figure I should be covered in mud by 10 am tomorrow at latest. Life is good. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

I've got a question, somewhat related to this post.

Can an engine overheat when this pressure release valve is stuck?

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
Gerrelt

Does the light turn off when you rev the engine or while driving in gear? Please don't drive the car anymore till you figure this out. You might destroy the engine beyond economical repair.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

No, the light stays on no matter what RPM is held. The car is not being driven.

-dan

Reply to
dan mcgraw

Check the oil relief valves, the one towards the flywheel may be stuck open, loosing oil pressure. If the oil pressure relief valves are ok, then you have to tear down the engine, or find a replacement.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Maybe it's as simple as the sensor being broken. Tried replacing it?

Reply to
jjs