on board air

I have a '95 Discovery v8 Auto.

I would like to fit a 2nd aircon pump next to the power steering pump for pump tyres and air matresses etc. I had a similar setup on my previous vehicle and it worked like a bomb. The one problem I have is a +/-12mm metal pipe coming out of the radiator near the power steering pump. It comes out horizontally quite far (+/-12 cm) and then goes down a long way. It looks like a pipe for the ATF. I would like to shorten the pipe by 3cm. Can this be done?

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy Sanby

I'm amazed there is enough room for a second air con pump but I'll assume there is....

The pipes you describe sound like the engine oil cooler pipes. They go down to the oil pump. One of them goes to the top of the oil cooler built into the radiator, the other goes to the bottom.

You have a couple of choices. If you think that shortening the pipe is all that is required then that's easy. You need to buy what is known in the UK as a "Yorkshire Fitting". I'm guessing from your use of cm that you are in the UK ? A good engineering supply shop will be able to supply such a fitting, it consists of a tube with a compression fitting at each end. A 1/2 inch fitting is ideal for the job. Just cut the steel part of the pipe and put the fitting in line.

If you can't get enough room you can use an after market oil cooler instead or remove the oil cooler altogether if you're feeling brave. (3.

9 V8's were fitted with oil coolers as standard but if you're not doing any heavy towing it's debateable if you actually need it or not). The oil cooler take off is done with a removable plate on early 3.9s, probably the same on yours....

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks Dave, actually I'm from Cape Town in sunny South Africa. I would rather not remove any cooling devices from the vehicle but will follow up on the "Yorkshire fitting" idea.

Reply to
Jimmy Sanby