OT-A little story about Amtech tools

In article , Simon Isaacs writes

Mixed fortunes with MM. Was lured by a 'VAT-free day' two weeks ago, and bought a pillar drill. So far: guard is wrong size (so won't fit) pulley bearings not properly seated, motor leaning at crazy angle (mounting plate), table grub screw missing, table surface ground so badly it was actually sharp (and I don't mean at the edges).

Anyway, what do I expect for 150 quid? Of course it's built down to a price, but I knew that when I bought it, so I'm not upset. The bits I couldn't do anything about myself (guard and motor mounting plate), Clarke were very helpful about - their support contract is with MM, so I spoke to their helpline and then the shop. Everyone in the chain knowledgeable and helpful; parts on order. So we'll see...

It's still a useful bit of kit, with an MT2 taper on the quill and an MT3 on the chuck (which surprised me slightly). I've already sorted the dolls-house 'trunking' with it (1/8" x 6" holes in the edge of 10mm MDF), and have umpteen tricky repair jobs backed up.

All the jobs on Marge? They'll wait until the weather improves :)

Does anyone know a good source for a machine vice? I bought a cheapie from MM as a tide-me-over, but it's really too rough for lots of things.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:25:47 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

try

be warned, it's easy to spend much money with them.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Wow, brilliant!

ISWYM about spending too much... but I also see they have a machine vice on offer at £24...

...could everyone just look away from their monitors for a sec... Ta!

Many, many thanks.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

And never, ever read their special offers lists.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Hey not bad, they called me back today. Sorry sir, can't help we don't have access to spare parts for that item.

Never mind sourcing is in hand :-)

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:25:11 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

pssst! wanna buy a lathe?

Austin Shackles

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:11:23 +0000, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

lalalalalalala i'm not listening!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

A machine vice is used on a machine like a miller or pillar drill to hold work square and safe. Its vice mounted on a flat plate like this.

Fancy ones can be swivelled and / or tilted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Steve - Never too old to learn Robert

Reply to
Roberts

[about the ones in the URL]

As they say down our way, "Gert lush!", but way out of my league, 'specially for a £200 pillar drill. The search continues...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Machine Mart do 'em, starting bottom of page 2 and on if you bung "vice" into the search box. Tempted to get a cross vice as it (should) make lining things up a bit easier.

I've a 4" (I think) ordinary drill press vice, unused, in the garage that I bought for my pillar drill(*) but it doesn't fit the table. Cost more in postage than its value...

(*)=A339 shed special, probably not the most accurate bit of kit in the =

world but it does what I want and is miles better than hand held drilling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:08:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

the machine mart ones are very crude, though, and not especially good. I have 2 here :-)

the one with all the slides on it is better, but occupies a fair bit of space under yer drill.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, but you may as well by a small milling machine if you do that. Axminster have "baby" ones for 235 quid, including VAT and delivery.

And a tilting head on that too.#

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've 'kin warned you about this before...

(Getting some use from a certain Uni dept at present - have just killed 50 One Pound coins in order to get my new prototype made!)

Reply to
Mother

I don't know WHAT you mean ????

Me, I'd have turned off 50 ally blanksand practiced on them....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

We've already gone through that - this is for the final prototype - and nothing is as easy once you come to do it 'for real'. Cracked it now - and have a decent result.

Reply to
Mother

What do you expect for less than a tenner? I'm not into precise (let alone precison) drilling in metal, most of my work is in wood. Getting true (as in 90 degrees) countersunk holes consistently down the face of a batten or the same distance from the edge of a board is my main use.

I've played with one in a shop, not bad but not especially good either. The height taken up might be an issue with my small and cheapo drill press.

Yes it would be nice to have a calibrated sliding vice or even a miller but I just can't justify that expense. A cheapy and spending 4 times longer setting up will have to do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Mother writes

Oh, I'll bite -- what on earth were you making??

Incidentally, I'm sure you've seen these...

http://205.243.100.155/frames/interesting1.html

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

OMIGOD!

That's "I'm going to have to hurt you" material you know!

Reply to
Mother