OT as usual: GPS in phones used for tracking

This is in the US, but the US mobile phone companies are legally required to be able to track people by phone according to this article, and can not only use their masts to track you but it appears they can enable the GPS in the phone and get updates from it (although this is extrapolated from a journo's writings so probably wrong).

---------- Since 2005, US law says that mobile phone providers must be able to locate 67% of callers within 100 metres and 95% of callers within 300 meters.

This requirement has led to GPS capability in most new mobile phones in the US.

"This is very useful, although we can only use it in emergency situations such as when a person is missing or lost, or a life is in danger," said chief Anderson.

Knowing this, police officer Todd Neale contacted the mobile phone provider, AT&T, which gave him GPS coordinates every time the phone was activated. Police must submit a compliance form to the phone provider to request location information.

----------

Hmm, potentially scary, but useful too. Mild head-scratcher, that one.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I've got a Blackberry Storm, which has GPS, and sat nav! The sat nav canes the battery, from full to dead in an hour!

The GPS function is useful when map reading though!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

We really are getting into Orwell's 1984 in a big way now. email tracking soon:

It's not a head scratcher provided there are proper enforceable laws about who has access to the data, why they need access and procedures to get access. If you want the data you should have to provide the reason, a time period and specific personal details/information to narrow the returned data down to that relating to a single individual. There should be *NO* opportunity for any form of fishing exercise.

Unfortunately I doubt very much our government wants to tie access down that hard. What was the data that councils had easy and legal access to and some used to fine/prosecute people?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There was the stories about a council using CCTV and "anti-terror legislation" (whether it really was or not I don't know) to film a couple to see if they really lived within a particular school catchment area, was that the one?

The database state is the fear that I think is the real one, that and the large number of laws being fired about all over the place, these are all tools for the government and police to use to beat us with, but on the whole the job they're doing already seems pretty much OK to me so I don't see why they need to take these further steps. The march of progress I suppose might be felt as necessary in the legal enforcement industries as well as all others, after all who wants to work in a static industry with no new toys coming out every month?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Journalistic crap again unfortunately. The law in question has nothing to do with terrorism. The RIPA is there to actually limit who can do what, rather than to enable people to snoop.

73 Jeff
Reply to
Jeff

Afraid not.

It was Poole Council who were promptly hauled over the coals for misusing their powers under RIPA.

Reply to
William Black

A couple of years back there was a website (UK) that could show the location of your phone - it had mine a bout 30 yards away from where I was. The site was pulled in short order

Reply to
Buzby

Hehe

There are however plenty of sites that will still allow you to track mobiles, one for example will need payment and require that they send an SMS to the phone once at the start of the contract, but afterwards you get charged per search and no more SMSes are sent, it'd be useful for parents with kids I suppose, or as suggested by the link above, untrusting spouses and so on!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's the idea the site is sold on

I've broken down a couple of times and Green Flag have always asked for my mobile number

They ring the number and they can triangulate through the masts

The told me where I was in the middle of nowhere

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

I might get my mum onto that, she got lost recently and phoned me up for help, hard to help when neither of us know where she is! Got her to drive to the nearest town to a crossroads and found her on the street names in the end.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings