landrover petition gov uk

Please sign this petition to show your support for landrover and british manufacturing

Thanks mike

Reply to
mike hunt

Have you ever had sex?

Reply to
Nige

Sorry, with a woman?

Reply to
Nige

Keyboard!!!!

Reply to
Rich B

Tata have loads of money, and don't need any support. Giving them money would just be lining the pockets of Tata's owners.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Agreed. They've paid the first instalment on my contract with them this week so they must be flush ... here begineth the next world tour :-)

Reply to
SteveG

There are a couple of flaws in your argument. Firstly, JLR aren't British owned so the Gov't would simply be subsidising a foreign business' activity. Secondly, JLR are a small bit player in the automotive world - even the UK bit which is dominated by the likes of Toyota and Honda. More jobs are on the line with these companies ... but I don't see you suggesting HMG supports them.

Reply to
SteveG

Chances are that Tata would be delighted to move the whole operation to India.

Lower labour charges, property available for next to nothing, virtually no taxes on an operation such as this, the state government in Gujarat already supporting a Tata vehicle production plant and a vast domestic market for a Defender type vehicle.

The money is to stop them doing that and keeping the jobs in the UK.

Reply to
William Black

What would be the point of buying two iconic British brands then shipping them to India? I doubt it's going to happen as the brands would be ruined.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sounds like the best offeri he'd get .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx mobile

In this particular case the brands don't matter.

What matters is that there's a market in India for the product.

The UK government is busy destroying the domestic market for large 4x4s on purely doctrinal grounds, there's no valid environmental reason because of vehicle lifecycle times.

The US market doesn't care where the big luxury 'drug dealer' wagons come from.

The big emerging market for a Defender type vehicle is the Far East.

Reply to
William Black

On or around Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:11:37 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

WTF is a cockfart?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There is no historical evidence to support your assertion. Quite=20 contrary, in fact, Tata have a reputation for maintaining businesses in=20 the country that they were purchased in. Corus is a case in point: they=20 could have easily transferred steel production to India (where they had=20 excess capacity) from the UK but they didn't, despite Corus losing close =

to =A3250K per day at one point. Yes, steel plants have closed since Tata= =20 took over but not so that production could be shifted elsewhere.

As we (the tax payer) and this stupid Government has already seen,=20 paying a foreign company to keep jobs in the UK doesn't guarantee that=20 they will ... witness the asset stripping of the MG/Rover plants. Let's=20 not venture down that route again.

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

I'd like to see your evidence for that statement. As far as I have seen (with my own eyes) the Far East is awash with Japanese and Korean utility vehicles that are better made and cheaper than the Defender.

Reply to
SteveG

Didn't the real asset stripping happen before Nanking (sp?) took over ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

There is no historical evidence to support your assertion. Quite contrary, in fact, Tata have a reputation for maintaining businesses in the country that they were purchased in. Corus is a case in point: they could have easily transferred steel production to India (where they had excess capacity) from the UK but they didn't, despite Corus losing close to £250K per day at one point. Yes, steel plants have closed since Tata took over but not so that production could be shifted elsewhere.

----------------------------

Perhaps I should have prefaced my remarks with the words "Tata's well known business principles notwithstanding'

Reply to
William Black

Both India and China have high tariffs on imported vehicles.

India certainly has a market for a bigish domestically produced reasonably modern 4x4 like the Defender.

Reply to
William Black

SG: Which is why existing cheaper, better made Japanes and Korean utility vehicles are so popular in China.

SG: Does it? YOU might think so but there's no obvious evidence of it. Tata already manufacture a range of modern 4x4 and utility vehicles in India - why would they want to add an ancient design like the Defender to their existing portfolio? From personal experience (i.e. I've driven them) the Tata Sumo is streets ahead of the Defender in terms of comfort and built quality and is about 50% of the cost.

BTW, if you really think the Defender is a "reasonably modern" vehicle then you need to get out more :-)

Reply to
SteveG

And about 50% of the size as well.

It's a lot more 'car like' and far more a 'small Disco' than anything else.

It certainly isn't suitable for rural use in India.

Reply to
William Black

Harder to do than a fannyfart I bet.

Reply to