OT: Aurora borealis

Otherwise known as Northern Lights, or Norrsken...

(Like this:

) Apparently these are going to be very clear tonight in the UK. So if you're fed-up with fireworks, jump in the Landie, park on top of a mountain and look North :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Maybe I'll drive up one of the well known Suffolk mountains then ;-)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:37:30 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

bet it's bloody cloudy. There was a green glow in the northern sky a week or so back, when it happened to be clear, it does or did indeed look like the pre-dawn light coming up in the wrong place, and justifies its name thusly. [aurora borealis = northern dawn in latin, for them as don't know]

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's lots of green, red, white and blue flashes in the sky down in Portsmouth tonight. Oh yeah - Gut Fawkes night!!!

Reply to
pl.white

Hmmm, not many mountains in Lincolnshire either. Hang on, I will go and park on that speed hump ;-) Might not see even then as it is like being in Baghdad tonight.

Reply to
Foxhunter

Not many of them in South Lincs / North Cambs :-(

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The Southern Lights too should be visible to those in the better (antipodean) regions of the world on - Tuesday night half of Australia could see them, outside of city areas.

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Don't try this in a J**p folks...

I'd guess that Baghdad was a lot quieter than Sheffield last night.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

whilst we're all craning our necks chk this

for saturdays lunar eclipse

ted

Reply to
teddave

The sump of my 101 is clearer than the sky tonight... :-(

Oh well, s'pose It'd be best to either go beddies or annoy the neighbours with some very loud Steve Vai...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

The sky cleared earlier in the evening which enabled a superb view of the eclipse through the telescope in the garden. As a result got to bed at 2am but not sure SWMBO appreciated my ice cold feet planted in the middle of her back hehehehehehe!

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around Sun, 09 Nov 2003 01:13:41 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I initially interpreted that as meaning that your sump was devoid of any occluding oil. But then it occurred to me that you were probably referring to the blackness of the sky.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depressing... Aternoon started clear, evening it clouded over - then cleared a little around 11pm (still lots of ambient smoke from the fireworks, but generally good). Then around midnight - the big unfriendly clouds rolled in to stay... Depressing... :-(

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

How could that possibly annoy the neighbors ??

:0)

`Agrippa

Reply to
Agrippa

On or around Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:41:22 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

the b******* keep doing that here too. It's a conspiracy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles