OT: I bought the Isuzu Trooper

Had it looked at by a pro, he reckons it's practically mint. The only thing he mentioned was the air - con wasn't working which they pumped up & now works. The radio aerial wasn't up to much (I'll sort that)

12 months test, FSH at 40k & 3 months warranty.

The car was over my budget at £5k, but the condition is so good (as it's imported from Japan) it's untrue. Has the full Recaro interior too. Just the dogs twitcher.

So, cheers for your help, but alas, I'm not going to own a Land Rover - yet!

This company imports Land-Rovers from Japan as they are mint too!!! I mean mint too!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

He might if he takes it off road. One of the bosses here has got a long wheelbase trooper which he took to Wildtracks a couple of years ago. He dunked it in a big puddle there and it died on the way home having wrecked the alternator. They don't have axle breathers either so the rear one became blocked and the axle has leaked ever since. The dash turns into a light show occasionaly too.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Not wishing to go on the defensive. But Defenders don't have remote axle breathers as standard either, and if you fill up the alternator with water and grit, it probably won't last that long whatever car it's on!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

I realise that all makes are vulnerable if you expose them to extremes. I was just replying to the previous poster who commented that he wouldn't have the fun(?) of breaking down and fixing it. If it does break down the spares aren't cheap either.

It seemed a bit daft to have the alternator at the bottom of the engine bay too, what with it being a 4x4 and all.

I'm pretty sure that my Defender has got breathers on the axles, definitely on the front, can't say about the rear without looking. They must have been fitted by the AA before I got it.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Yep, you're probably right about the spares... Thy're 24V alternators too....

All landys have axle breathers BTW (except freelander/new RR). The problem arises when the axle is fully submerged and the air inside cools/contracts. Water is then sucked in through the breather. The solution is to fit a bit of pipe to the breaher and put it up out of the way somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if the AA had done this, its certainly not a standard factory setup.

I agree the bottom of the engine is a proper daft place to put it!! There's a lot of extra gubbins out the front of that engine, what with the air con and PAS. You'd've thought the alternator would have priority place at the top, but clearly they didn't think of that...

Sounds like its got all the credentials for a real 4x4 then...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

Unless LR have changed things in _very_ recent years, this is the standard factory setup.

Simple axle breathers with a bearing are series items, remote breathers with plastic pipes are defender items.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

When I mentioned the breathers on my Defender I meant to say that they do have extension pipes fitted, I just didn't read through what I wrote cos I was being stoopid.

Another post following yours reckons they are standard Defender fitment too. Maybe the AA didn't modify mine after all.

Reply to
Simon Barr

And Rangies and 101's too

Reply to
Lee_D

How could you forget... Discoveries

Reply to
David French

Hadn't realised that!! I'm stuck in the past with me series stuff.... I'd just assumed that the ones I'd seen had been modified. Never realised it was standard out the factory. oops

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

OK, OK I'll get me coat!!