OT: Rover 220Sdi info

My sis runs a Rover 220 Sdi. The oil light 'keeps flickering when its warm'. So Brother in law puts it in a garage and they change the pressure sensor, still does it so they change it again....still the same. AFAIK the actual oil pressure aint been measured yet, how easy is it to do.

Also are there any known problems with this engine which nay cause the above syptoms. Oil light goes out after start up and only comes on when oil is warm. I'm thinking either blocked strainer or knackered oil pump??

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Remove sensor. Plumb gauge to resultant threaded hole.

Sticky pressure relief valve?

Reply to
EMB

Change the oil and filter twice in about 1000 miles. Give it a good thrashing for 100-200 miles. If that doesn't work increase the tickover speed just a tad. Sorted. TonyB

PS It's nothing to worry about. I've had a number of high mileage cars that have exhibited this symptom especially if they've been used for lots of round town work. The first disco did it when I bought it at 124000 miles and went on to 235,000 miles with no engine probs whatsoever. The oil light stopped flickering after a good run and oil change, and never came on at tickover again.

Reply to
TonyB

Not sure about the ease of which on this L series application, but if its easy i'd whip the sump off and check the strainer for crap.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..