97 jetta 4cyl 2.0- back from the shop today but oil pressure issue still present. advice needed!

hello folks,

the jetta was put in the shop 11 days ago to have the oil pump or the sensor replaced in addition to front wheel bearings and hub rotor. prior to car going in oil pressure alarm/light would go off unless i was @ or above 3200rpm & i would experience a slight loss of power. was told by shop mechanic that the oil pump was holding pressure and didn't recommend replacing. when i suggested the sensor he acted enlightened! he later informed me that the oil sending unit was the culprit and that he would change the oil when he replaces the unit. so, 10mins after my brother left the shop today he said the alarm/ light went off again but once he reached 2400rpm everything was fine. when we arrived at home a few miles later, i called the shop to speak to the mechanic. to no surprise he was baffled. he said that he "drove the car for fourty miles and nothing came on", then reassured me that the pump was holding great pressure and that the sensor was not cleaned but replaced. he stated that maybe a wire is "touching somewhere" and that he would take care of it first thing monday and that i "would not have any problems driving it until them". afterwards i wanted to drive it hard on the interstate to see how it would respond. i drove 80-85mph for 2mi, once i reached the exit ramp i let off the accelerator and the oil pressure light & alarm go off yet again and stayed on the entire 2mi back home. this time atleast there is no loss of power. i inspected the oil filter and it appears to be the old one. i also inspected the oil on dipstick and it doesn't appear to be new oil. i know that oil remains in the engine after a change and is mixed with new but the oil is a deep brown color and it doesn't have that just changed feel to it. anyway, tonight i wanted to take it out again but this time i let the car warm-up first which seemed to help. i drove it for approximately 4mi in stop & go traffic and the alarm/light only went off, once around the 1800-2000rpm range.

after laying out 780.00 for the parts and labor, i am not a happy camper right now but i'm not ready to label the garage crooks either. i would really appreciate any input from those smarter than myself so i can be better informed when i go back to the shop.

thanks.

Reply to
Leftoverair

Let's see, you have a suspected oil pressure problem, and you test it out by driving at high speeds to see what happens? Huh?

There are so many things in your post that are wrong that I don't know where to begin. First you didn't inspect the vehicle after you had it repaired? Didn't even open the hood? You didn't ask the 'mechanic'

*how* he knew the oil pressure was OK?
  1. Get a second evaluation by a competnet mechanic.
  2. Don't test your oil pressure by driving at 80-85 MPH.
  3. COnsider public transportation, it may be in your future...
Reply to
PeterD

first step, find out what the oil pressure is hot at 2000rpm and post the results! It should be 2bar/30psi at 2000rpm.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

i was told that cold pressure was 70psi and hot was 40psi.

on a side note- although this shop was recommended by a local vw club it is not strictly a vw shop, i should have known better! i called my old (strictly air & watercooled) shop back in my home state & informed the owner of my problem. i was reminded that the 97's have TWO sensors. after informing the local shop of my findings they admitted that they only replaced the one by the heads and NOT the other sensor by the transmission. they agreed to take care of everything in the a.m., against my better judgement i am allowing them the opportunity to make this right. this was a tough lesson to learn. i am officially back to using shops that are "vw's only"- once with the other guys is enough for me.

thanks for the input.

Reply to
Leftoverair

"Leftoverair" wrote

snip

Don't beat the shop up too badly. lol It is better that YOU know what needs doing so that you can insure that they repair the correct stuff. If they have done good work for you before and not gouged you with high prices, then you have a history with them. ;-) Always ask here when you have a problem or are about to do a repair!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well, after taking the jetta to one of the local vw dealers, the oil pressure problem is Still there. left the dealer, car heats up, light & buzzer come on. called dealer & was told by service manager because i have a lot of engine wear, i should use "something like castrol 10/50 and stp oil treatment". i ended up draining the 10/30 & putting in straight 30 weight & some slick 50 high mileage. engine was at normal temp range during test drive with no buzzer or light. about

2hrs later drove car again & after reaching norm temp buzzer & light came on. draining oil again tomorrow and using 20/50 & some type of 88addative to see if that works. i've learned that the .9 sensor monitors 2000rpm and above(?) does anyone have a link for detailed oil pressure sensor removal?

than you!

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Leftoverair

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well it could be engine wear, but VW engines have a hard time wearing unless abused alot. Did you ever have any serious oil leaks? Did your engine ever overheat badly? Did you hit a curb with that oil pan?

I see it being Oil Pressure Switches. Oil Pump or pickup strainer clogged. Wrong oil or oil filters. Engine bad

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

thanks for the input- i purchased this car back in october... since then i've only experienced minor oil leaks. the car never overheated and i didn't hit a curb with the oil pump.

friday a.m. i attempt to start the jetta to warm it up. it has never hesitated to start anytime but took three tries this time. the buzzer & light go off immediately, which usually doesn't happen until the car reaches normal running temps. i promptly shut the engine down and walk to the front of the jetta to see oil Dumping out onto the driveway. she died...so i whistled Taps. i've never heard of anything like this happening before, any ideas?

thanks!

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Leftoverair

Leaking oil sensor? Autopsy? Organ donation (part-out car)?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Usually I find a loose oil filter or a cracked oil cooler seal/gasket. Common issues! Did the engine really stop on its own, or you turned it off? You wanted to see what would happen if the engine dumped all of the oil out!

8^o
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dripping from where?