Overheating

My Discovery TDI300 started overheating yesterday when doing sensible motorway speed - hardly a hot day!!!

I had the heaters on full blast to try and warm the inside up but it was just blowing out cold air, and temp gauge got very high. I was about to pull over when all of a sudden warm air came out of hearters and temp gauge went straight down. Fine for rest of journey. Then a couple of hours later when driving somewhere else same thing happened. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ga

I know nothing about the 300tdi, but sounds exactly like a stuck (now unstuck!) thermostat to me. Although I thought the heater is normally on the "engine side" of the thermostat so the heater should have had hot water. So now I'm not so sure....

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Ga wibbled :

Short of water?

Reply to
GbH

Surely if it was short of water then it would just keep overheating??

I tend to think that it may be more along the lines of thermostat (or something else) sticking as Andrew said because all of a sudden hot air comes from heaters and tem gauge rapidly drops back down.

Reply to
Ga

In news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, Ga wibbled :

Not necessarily, you can get a nice little airlock in the heater matrix, while the engine/radiator is full.

Reply to
GbH

Check the strength of your antifreeze.

Reply to
mark

I also thought about an airlock just after I posted about sticky thermostat. I reckon its one or the other.

Or of course a blockage caused by ????

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Air lock. Bleed carefully and try again.

Reply to
Rich B

Er, why?

Reply to
Rich B

On or around 9 Feb 2007 02:30:56 -0800, "Ga" enlightened us thusly:

Coolant level low, check it pronto and watch it like a hawk.

It could be a gasket (such as the water pump or the P gasket or the thermostat housing, or it could be an early sign of head gasket going.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:43:50 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

the 300 TDi is very prone to this if the coolant level is low. It only needs to be down an inch or so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:11:40 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

could've been frozen somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If he'd just started, maybe - but if he's "doing a sensible motorway speed" I wouldn't have thought it likely an engine would develop a slush block unless he was driving in Siberia.

Reply to
Rich B

Are there any mods to monitor the coolant level that you know of?

Reply to
Graham Bowers

On or around Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:57:18 +0000, Graham Bowers enlightened us thusly:

erm... dunno. The sierra has a little float switch in the tank. I'm not sure if any of the RR classic/disco I family have 'em. in theory, it's not hard to do...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

PRC7925 Water Level Sensor/Cap - Expansion Bottle - RRC from GA

fits the plastic expansion tanks (ESR63) fitted to most non-V8 Discovery I's, later Range Rover Classics, and Tdi Defenders.

Obvioulsy you'd have to wire up a light yourself.

The slight snag is they are £38.77 inc VAT each...... (ouch)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

We've been here before. The plastic tank can take the float switch from the P38(?).

Dougal

Thanks I popped up to Beamends this morning and came away with such a device. Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

On or around Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:06:10 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

IME the V8 discos have the same plastic tank.

I bet there's an unused coolant warning light position on the dash, too :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd never thought of that...........

Reply to