Overheating 110 CSW (19J)

I had a pleasant trip to Gloucester last Saturday, where the nice people in Allisport fitted large intercooler in Reggie (a 110 CSW with a 19J).

The intercooler sits in front of the standard radiator and this now seems to have identified a potential cooling problem with the car. I accept that I will have reduced cooling anyway for two reasons - 1. Less cooling air over the radiator and 2. What air there is will be warmer (if the intercooler is doing it's job!) , but even with that, the engine seems to get a lot hotter than I would expect.

Now Reggie has always run cold, even when doing a steady 70 down the motorway, the temperature gauge would only just climb into the white. When towing the caravan, it would get slightly hotter, but not much more. A good pull up a hill and it may get to half way across the gauge.

With the intercooler fitted I now get to half way on the gauge on the motorway, without towing! My concern is what happens when I tow - will it get too hot and overheat? Bear in mind it is getting hot in winter

- will it get worse in summer?

The obvious things to check are the thermostat and radiator. I know the fan is "free" when cold, I must also check it when it gets hot and confirm that it locks up (but I assume it's effect is minimal when compared to the airflow across the radiator at speed.)

Is there anything else I should look out for or do?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Hmm, my 110 300TDi has always run at halfway up the temp gauge no matter what the conditions (after warming up of course), both before and after having a full-width Fearns intercooler fitted. It's only gone over that once, when I'd packed both the intercooler and the rad with mud. I've towed about 1.7 tonnes with it in the middle of a hot summer and it sat there halfway across the gauge.

Are you sure it's not working properly now? ;-)

If it's a viscous, ISTR that it's a PITA to check to see if it's working properly, as it works by transferring torque through a liquid so it'll still spin freely if the engine is stopped and you try to turn it by hand. I've known at least one person change a fan because he expected it to be locked to the shaft when hot, just checking that you're aware of that... Try getting it hot and pulling over with the engine running and hopping out to check if it's blowing air over the engine, and try to do it all in as short a time-frame as possible.

It almost sounds like the fan was "on" all the time previously, making it hard for the truck to heat up, and now it's working properly.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

As well as checking your viscous fan, have a look at the state of your radiator - it could be that some of the fins are corroded/destroyed and your new intercooler is covering the remaining good ones?

Our 200tdi had a badly corroded radiator and it was hitting the red line.

Also, your intercooler allows you to generate more power - by burning more fuel (colder air in turbo can hold more fuel) - this could increase the engine temperature - worth checking with others who have had an intercooler upgrade and see if their engines run hotter.

Matt

puffernutter wrote:

Reply to
MGreen

I'd venture that the cooling system is now working properly for the first time. Unless you can find anything obviously wrong I think you will find that the guage will always read the same, except possibly when towing up a long hill. Bear in mind that from just above the white to just below the red is only a few degrees - the guage is not linear.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Would your interior fan ever blow warm air when your gauge was just into the white?

The 19J outside constantly sits just a bit over the half way line, a long climb with a full load will see temp climb to the end of the white. Thats with a relatively new (2 year old) cooling system, always sat at similar places, apart from when the last rad was at the end you needed to keep the interior fan on when loaded and doing slow, hot work.

I'd agree with others that your cooling system is now reading what it should :-)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie