p38a radius arm bushes

Had one on totally disintergrate on my DT today !

according to the workshop manual the air suspension system needs to be decompressed using text book before removing the arms obvoiusly I dont have text book so I am asking myself why this is so ? surely I can chock the wheels ( will be on a four post lift ) and support the chassis to stop it all moving ? will I need to have the whole thing re-calibrated after ?

any advise appreciated as I need to get to a wedding this weekend .

Reply to
cg1

cg1> Had one on totally disintergrate on my DT today !

Yow! That sounds unusual....

cg1> according to the workshop manual the air suspension system cg1> needs to be decompressed using text book before removing the cg1> arms obvoiusly I dont have text book so I am asking myself cg1> why this is so ? surely I can chock the wheels ( will be on a cg1> four post lift ) and support the chassis to stop it all cg1> moving ? will I need to have the whole thing re-calibrated cg1> after ?

Drop the car to access level first, then lift the chassis keeping the wheels on the group (or on the ramp), and either a) keep a door open or b) better still, disconnect the battery negative lead to ensure the EAS doesn't try to move while you're working.

That will minimise the pressure in the EAS without depresurising - there is NO guaranteed safe way to depressurise the springs without a diagnostic system.

Don't lift the chassis too high - if it starts lifting the wheels, then the entire weight of the axle is being supported by the dampers and the clips holding the air springs in place. Not a good situation.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

thanks ! thats basicly what I have done but I have drained the air tank too ( its got a proper bleed screw at one end WOW )

only thing that worrys me now is if disconnecting the height sensors will mean re-calibrating but I cant see why it should .

Reply to
<chris

cg1> thanks ! thats basicly what I have done but I have drained cg1> the air tank too ( its got a proper bleed screw at one end cg1> WOW )

Gives an added safety margin, I guess. Note that this DOESN'T depressurise the springs!

cg1> only thing that worrys me now is if disconnecting the height cg1> sensors will mean re-calibrating but I cant see why it should

Should be OK. Be very careful to connect the arms in the same way otherwise it will get very confused.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

all done aswell as new shocks , steering damper, pan rod bushes drop arm etc there is nothing less to change but some vibration is still felt through steering so I had the tracking and balancing redone but its still there , do I need to adjust the steering box and if so how hard is it ?

Reply to
cg1