Painting Fuel Tanks

Anyone got any advice on painting fuel tanks? I'm about to fit a replacement in my Lightweight & just chucking it in bare seems wrong, what with it being exposed to the elements. I'm thinking a few coats of hammerite but that's only coz I've a few tins hanging about in the shed.

Andy Luker

1982 Lightweight
Reply to
Andy Luker

Some might consider Hammerite a bit brittle.

When I had my tanks of I used some brush on seam sealer liberally applied around the seams etc then a couple of thick coats of Schutz but I suppose any of the underbody type coatings would do. I wanted something that would remain relatively flexible but not rub off. so far it seems OK after a few years, it hasn't hardened at all but I can press a thumbnail into it. I did the outrigger behind it as well while it was off.

Did the same treatment to a Range Rover tank that was replaced and it is still looking good. How do I know, well it was rolled not that long ago and ongoing repairs mean I can see it through the hole in the loadspace where the floor pan should be :)

HTH

Reply to
wayne

I've painted fuel tanks before without any issues.

Paint and protect to your hearts content.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Tanks should be painted prior to fitting - even those that are supplied in black are only painted for storage protection, not use (one maker adds a label to this effect).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd