2004 Camry slides off road in ice with snow tires :|

Hello again,

Since you guys/gals had such good information last time, I am at wit's end trying to figure out this problem. I have Yokohama Iceguard tires on the front...and Blizzaks (one season old) on the back. Firestone said this was ok--Toyota said not. So today, I had the same Iceguards put on the back.

The problem is that in a little bit of ice last night going around turns the car wanted to slide. In fact, I slid off the road (thank god the other driver saw me). BUT, I saw other Camrys passing me, with the abililty to go over 30mph. Is this something that is common? or am I plauged? Toyota last Friday said they found nothing wrong...they did an alignment and added some air to the tires.

I'm nervous about this car now....I bought a Toyota thinking I woudn't have the same problems as my Chevy. It seems like I've spent more on this car than the Chevy :| and that was dying...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rich MCSE - MCSA - MCDBA - MCP

Reply to
RTL

I've never had snow tires, but my understanding is that they don't help with ice, especially ice near the freezing point. If you find it difficult to control skids, I suggest chains. Depending on the frequency of icy conditions, either the quick attach or the more permanent conventional chains, see you friendly auto store.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Ya should have got them with studs for ice. Probably too late now if the holes get dirt in them its difficult to add the studs.

Reply to
Wolfgang

some divers are good some are crap

Reply to
m Ransley

I have nokian tires and no issues. make sure the air pressure is 30 psi and you are fine.

Reply to
Car Guy

the

go

last

some

have

Snow tread is designed to such that the grooves fail to allow the snow to collect and compact,..but ice is another matter. Rubber is rubber no matter what you do and it will not stop a skid on a slippery surface *like* ice.

I used to encounter 'black ice' which is re-frozen water on asphalt in a thin layer on a mountain road we used to travel regularly to. The only way I'd take it on (and this was in a number of cars and 4WDs over the years) was to fit chains.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"Black Ice" sucks, period!

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku wrote: || On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:55:47 +1100, Jason James wrote: || ||| ||| "RTL" wrote in ||| message news:Zmnwd.4302$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... |||| Hello again, |||| |||| Since you guys/gals had such good information last time, I am at |||| wit's end trying to figure out this problem. I have Yokohama |||| Iceguard tires on the front...and Blizzaks (one season old) on the |||| back. Firestone said this was ok--Toyota said not. So today, I had |||| the same Iceguards put on the back. |||| |||| The problem is that in a little bit of ice last night going around |||| turns the car wanted to slide. In fact, I slid off the road (thank |||| god the other driver saw me). BUT, I saw other Camrys passing me, |||| with the abililty to go over 30mph. Is this something that is |||| common? or am I plauged? Toyota last Friday said they found |||| nothing wrong...they did an alignment and added some air to the |||| tires. |||| |||| I'm nervous about this car now....I bought a Toyota thinking I |||| woudn't have the same problems as my Chevy. It seems like I've |||| spent more on this car than the Chevy :| and that was dying... |||| |||| Any advice is greatly appreciated! |||| |||| Cheers, |||| |||| Rich |||| MCSE - MCSA - MCDBA - MCP ||| ||| Snow tread is designed to such that the grooves fail to allow the ||| snow to collect and compact,..but ice is another matter. Rubber is ||| rubber no matter what you do and it will not stop a skid on a ||| slippery surface *like* ice. ||| ||| I used to encounter 'black ice' which is re-frozen water on asphalt ||| in a thin layer on a mountain road we used to travel regularly to. ||| The only way I'd take it on (and this was in a number of cars and ||| 4WDs over the years) was to fit chains. ||| ||| Jason || || || "Black Ice" sucks, period!

Black ice worse than "white" ice? You a racist, bro'?

Reply to
iameveryman

Catch up to them and see what tires they have?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Wow! Thank you to all that replied. I will check out "tire studs" and see what I can find out. I'm unsure if they're legal in NY...I know they have some [yes, whacky] laws about when we must remove snow tires and such...but right now, safety is more of my concern.

Thanks again to all

Cheers,

Rich MCSE - MCSA - MCDBA - MCP

the

go

last

some

have

Reply to
RTL

I've had studded snow tires in the past, but that was on RWD cars. Since the studded tires would normally be on the drive wheels you might want to investigate the handling characteristics of studded tires on an FWD car prior to any purchase. FWIW YMMV DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

I'm sorry! For PC purposes, let's call it 'invisible' ice. That way, no one's offended! Have to be politically correct, you know!

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku wrote: || On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:14:57 +0000, iameveryman wrote: || ||| HachiRoku wrote: ||||| On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:55:47 +1100, Jason James wrote: ||||| |||||| |||||| "RTL" wrote in |||||| message news:Zmnwd.4302$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... ||||||| Hello again, ||||||| ||||||| Since you guys/gals had such good information last time, I am at ||||||| wit's end trying to figure out this problem. I have Yokohama ||||||| Iceguard tires on the front...and Blizzaks (one season old) on ||||||| the back. Firestone said this was ok--Toyota said not. So ||||||| today, I had the same Iceguards put on the back. ||||||| ||||||| The problem is that in a little bit of ice last night going ||||||| around turns the car wanted to slide. In fact, I slid off the ||||||| road (thank god the other driver saw me). BUT, I saw other ||||||| Camrys passing me, with the abililty to go over 30mph. Is this ||||||| something that is common? or am I plauged? Toyota last Friday ||||||| said they found nothing wrong...they did an alignment and added ||||||| some air to the tires. ||||||| ||||||| I'm nervous about this car now....I bought a Toyota thinking I ||||||| woudn't have the same problems as my Chevy. It seems like I've ||||||| spent more on this car than the Chevy :| and that was dying... ||||||| ||||||| Any advice is greatly appreciated! ||||||| ||||||| Cheers, ||||||| ||||||| Rich ||||||| MCSE - MCSA - MCDBA - MCP |||||| |||||| Snow tread is designed to such that the grooves fail to allow the |||||| snow to collect and compact,..but ice is another matter. Rubber |||||| is rubber no matter what you do and it will not stop a skid on a |||||| slippery surface *like* ice. |||||| |||||| I used to encounter 'black ice' which is re-frozen water on |||||| asphalt in a thin layer on a mountain road we used to travel |||||| regularly to. The only way I'd take it on (and this was in a |||||| number of cars and 4WDs over the years) was to fit chains. |||||| |||||| Jason ||||| ||||| ||||| "Black Ice" sucks, period! ||| ||| Black ice worse than "white" ice? You a racist, bro'? || || I'm sorry! For PC purposes, let's call it 'invisible' ice. That way, || no one's offended! Have to be politically correct, you know!

Reply to
iameveryman

People who use political correctness to INJECT racism where none was intended (ie, 'black ice') are those who WANT to pla the victim so they can control other people by projecting their own misery. Deal with that.

It's BLACK ICE. Just like in computer terms where you have a Master and a Slave drive on a Controller. Suck it up.

--

  - Philip
Reply to

Sheesh,..do I have to put a filter in to the extent I cant use a name that has been used here for eons for frozen water on *asphalt*!!! Asphalt is made from tar.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

That's about the way it's getting! I'd say "Merry Christmas", but I don't want to offend anyone... ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Give this man a cigar!!! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

[...]

My experience has been that careful driving will not always save you when
you're driving on a slippery road, and I concur with what Jason said. I
can't think of how one could ensure traction without the use of studded
tires or chains on tires on really slippery roads.

I suspect that a lot of people buy 4-wheel drive vehicles with the mistaken
idea that they'll get better traction on slippery roads.

Question for anyone: isn't having anti-lock brakes supposed to help prevent
skidding on slippery roads? My understanding (which may be wrong) is that an
ABS will pulse the brakes when a tire is skidding, hence that should enhance
vehicle control. Please clear up my naivete on this if I'm wrong.

Mike
Reply to
M. Hamill

You a tar baby, bro'?