painting the chassi

Hi, As the weather is warmer i've decided that its time to give the chassi a inspection/clean/paint/corrosion protection!

My plan is to clean the chassi by jet wash/hose followed by inspection.

Then give it a wire brushing and rub down followed by some chassi black paint.

Once done on with the protection (Dinitrol 3125 i think?)

I was just wondering how much i'll need to do inside and out side the chassi?

Also where can i pick "chassi black" paint? I'm going for this because i believe hammerite chips very easy!

Also Lro reviewed rust proofers and quoted Morris Anker Wax as a good buy, does anyone know where i can get this?

TA Mark

Birmingham

Reply to
Jinx

Hi Mark,

I would personally inject waxoyl into every crevice in the chassis and mix waxoyl with black stone chip for the underside and spray that on.

Andrew Renshaw

In my experience hammerite sticks pretty well to a nice rusty chassis. Does seem to need redoing after a couple of years though. Did mine about 3 years ago, and some bits are by now fairly rusty where its chipped off/rusted through.

Frosts

sell POR-15 which is supposed to bemore chip resistant. I've tried it on the underside of my car, so in ayear or so i can see if its actually any better than hammerite! Itdefinately stains your hands mroe effectively than hammerite does!

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Jinx" wrote in news:cbnea7$4tf$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

Do it right, do it once.

POR15 at

but you might need to take out a second mortgage.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

No other source ? Is that why its so %$^$&$** expensive !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

According to my browser, and their website, its 1277 quid a pint. Shurely shume mishtake. Surely ?????

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor wrote in news:40e04ec0$0$4593$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Mine worked out at £20 for a very very tiny pot. But it really is good stuff and it does go a long way. Spend £5 on a box of surgical gloves before you start!

I did find a German supplier who might be cheaper. After all, we are all Europeans these days.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Hi Derry, I checked the company website at por15.com and their US/Canadian price is around 20 quid for 750ml - or around 1/5 th of the UK price.

Should we club together and get a few gallons worth shipped in ?

I have a 101 to do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor wrote in news:40e05bbd$0$4579$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

There is definite advantage in some of us doing that. A while back there was mention of some special gearbox oil for 300Tdi's. I researched that and it is possible to make a huge saving by buying a gallon rather than a pint.But who needs a gallon?

The German site listed a six pack of POR15 which is a very good idea as if your tin is not properly sealed, it will turn to one solid black lump very quickly! Spreading the risk to six tins makes sense.

I wonder if we shouldn't form a buyers' group? I am all for it. I am also interested in falconry. I found a source of cheap bulk purchase transmitter batteries and posted that information on a newsgroup. Did not take long to find others of a similar mind and everyone saved money. Let's go for it!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Derry Argue wrote: >

Wonder how much I need for a 101 - and its huge fuel tank ? Any comments anyone ?

That makes three folks so far who have expressed an interest.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Just remind the bank manager that you're protecting a serious investment and he'll give you the 2nd mortgage ;)

Four... I think I should invest in a RR worth of it!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Am I looking at the right stuff - POR15 chassis black 20quid for 475ml inc VAT from Frost? It may be more expensive than the US but after carriage, import duty and VAT won't the US price mount up unless you're looking at *serious* quantities?

Reply to
AJG

The more I look the less I understand about the exact setup for this paint on a rough chassis !

From what I can see they recommend a de-greaser, then the "rust paint", which is NOT UV stable, then the overcoat, to protect the rust paint....

Help !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I think that they recommend overcoating it *because* it is not UV stable and will fade if not protected. The fading doesnt affect its other properties though AFAIK.

I will be doing the bits of my rear crossmember that are easy to reach soon and waxoyling the rest. The de-greaser they recommned is their own and called marine clean, very good it is too if just a bit expensive.

Like I say I haven't used the POR15 yet but everything I can find points to it being very good stuff indeed.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 30 Jun 2004 07:44:37 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

Just bought some galvafroid to paint bits on the back of the disco, such as my newly-made sliding tow hitch. 'ere, how much to they cost, and can I undercut Dixon-Bate...?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They are quite expensive AFAIK. I've got a dixon bate one on the 110 with some extra bits attached, its got a tow jaw on each side as well as the ball.

Just wish it didn't hang down quite so far, it nearly always ploughs up some mud on laning trips and has got me stuck once.

Reply to
Simon Barr

That's why I took both my Discos' towbars off. It's only 4 bolts if I want to stick it back on again ever. And I can use Jate rings without it.

David

Reply to
David French

Steve Taylor wrote in news:40e1dd56$0$4578$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Wire brush off loose rust, then paint with POR15 -- unless its oily/greasey when you'll need a degreaser. Don't worry about UV protection on the chassis, unless you plan driving your LR upside down!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

AJG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@shedcity.demon.co.uk:

I am just in after a 1,000 mile round trip putting a dog on the plane at Manchester so excuse the short reply!

Maybe someone could research that German site? If they can supply cheaper, it would cut out duty, VAT is going to be about the same (?), and carriage probably not much more.

Sorry, I'd do it but I'm knackered.... :(

Who was the poor sod in a grey Series (bonnet up) broken down on the motorway near Manchester? I nearly stopped but couldn't as there was a darn great lorry up my exhaust pipe.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

William MacLeod wrote in news:eYiEc.247$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net:

I've posted about this on another thread. Totally knackered after driving 1,000 miles in 24 hours and feeling my age. I found a German site offering POR15. Maybe someone who can speekie de language can research it?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue