Piston replacement

1987 90 2.5 petrol
  1. Can one replace the pistons/rings from underneath or does one have to take the head off too? (again!)
  2. Can one get to the camshaft chain tensioner to fix/replace it without draining the coolant, removing the water pump, radiator (so you can see) etc?
Reply to
Bob Hobden

  1. Yes, you will have to remove the head again, there isn't enough clearance to take the pistons down and it would be a tricky job to squeeze the rings in from underneath even if you could.
  2. No, I think IIRC the water pump is mounted on the timing case and you could manage without removing the radiator but it would be lots easier with it out of the way.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

"Oily" wrote

  1. Bugger! How did I know you were going to say that.

  1. Double bugger. Is there anything else that would rattle at idle like a timing chain? (it's got a new water pump).

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It might be the water pump, the new impeller might be catching in the housing or come loose if it's a recon.

Just check that the front pulley on the crankshaft hasn't come loose like it does on the diesels. Go to the doctor's and nick his stethoscope when he's not watching (only kidding). Failing that get a piece of flexible rubber tube and stick one end in your ear and listen about with the other but watch the fan and the belts, if anything grabs it let go quick, in fact only try this when someone else is there. Check alternator and pulley security and bearings, power steering pump (if it has one), worn distributor etc. Look for the easy bits first before you rip it apart!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

"Oily" wrote after

Thank's Martin, I remember now my Dad always used a stout broomstick type piece of wood to listen to noises in engines, put one end against the bit you suspect and the other end against your ear. Sounds more safe than a bit of hose. I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bits of wood can transmit a knock from a piece of moving engine much better than a piece of floppy hose! They also fly about with more damage too..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| On 2006-12-10, Bob Hobden wrote: || ||| Thank's Martin, I remember now my Dad always used a stout ||| broomstick type piece of wood to listen to noises in engines, put ||| one end against the bit you suspect and the other end against your ||| ear. Sounds more safe than a bit of hose. I'll give it a go. || || Bits of wood can transmit a knock from a piece of moving engine much || better than a piece of floppy hose! They also fly about with more || damage too.. || || -- || Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

I have a brilliant 12" screwdriver that I use for this. It's pretty much too big to be of any use as an automotive screwdriver, but as a stethoscope, wrecking bar, prybar, lever, trim remover, prop, light hammer, coolant hose separator, back scratcher - it's the real deal.

Reply to
Richard Brookman