Poor braking on my 96 Discovery

I've recently bought a 1996 2.5 tdi Discovery and I'm looking for advice on the brakes which aren't very good. I've noticed that there's a hissing sound as the brake pedal is pressed and released - is this normal? With the engine running and vehicle stationary, when I press the brake pedal hard, I can feel it slowly move downwards about 1/2 an inch which would seem to indicate air in the brake pipes - however on doing the standard quick repeated pump up routine to compress the air in the system - the servo runs out of vacuum so I can't tell. This would then seem to indicate that the problem is somehow due to not maintaining sufficent vacuum. I've checked all the pipework I can see and all the discs, pads, calipers and pistons are good. Any ideas please? Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony

The hissing and loss of vacuum would imply a faulty booster, possibly a split diaphragm.

The slow movement downwards in the pedal points to leakage past the seals in the master cylinder.

Sort the booster problem first, then you'll be able to troubleshoot the hydraulics side of things much more easily.

Reply to
EMB

It sounds like your servo has gone. Put your foot on the brake pedal with the engine off and then start it - the pedal should drop a bit. Usually when the servo fails completely though the brakes are rock-hard, so...

... 300Tdi's a famous for the vacuum pump going so check that out too, you don't want to replace them both by accident!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:19:26 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I was going to say "vacuum pump". also check the vacuum pipes including the one that goes to the EGR valve.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

If you read the above statement carefully then I would have thought that this is normal as the vacuum created in the servo by pressing it has to be removed by allowing air in to the servo. If the servo is hissing when the pedal is being 'continually' pressed then that is not normal.

Reply to
Nick

I think it's normal. My '96 300 Tdi Disco does exactly the same. The hiss is only when the brake pedal is moving. I had heard that the softish pedal is due to the odd ABS system fitted to LR's. I think it had to be a special system for off road use, you don't always want antilock to apply. FWIW mine clonks a bit when rolling to a halt too, and I'm hoping it's just the ABS pump. Doesn't always do it. Any offers? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB