The brakes on my '96 Disco are dreadful - is this normal?

I knew my brakes were weak but the other day I had to pull up from about 30mph for some traffic - (wouldn't have been an issue in my '96

3 series BMW).

I pressed the brake pedal and I began to slow down - I needed to slow down faster I so pressed the brake pedal harder but the rate of braking did not increase so I pressed harder, still no increase in braking, so I pressed so hard that I nearly pushed the back out of my seat and still the rate of braking didn't increase. I stared in horror as the bumper of the car in front grew nearer and nearer. As my right leg applied the force of an pit prop, the embarrassing thought flashed through my mind of having to apologise the driver in front for the damage I was about to cause, when after what seemed like an eternity, my Disco came to a leasurely stop just inches from the car in front!

The thought of ths still plagues me and I now drive the thing like a grandad - I think I'm going to buy a hat to complete the image.

But seroiusly, what is going on? Could it be poor brake pads? Faulty vacuum pump? I notice that after heavy braking, the front discs of course get very hot but the rear discs barely get warm - althought this isnt't good, would it make that much difference as most of the braking force comes from the fron wheels?

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Somethings wrong - Discovery brakes should be very good. With the engine off put your foot on the pedal. Then start the eninge, does the pedal drop a bit? If not the servo is not working. It could be the pump (though they usually rattle and/or leak oil when not happy), a split hose or the servo itself. If the pedal does drop, then the problem is is either in the master cylinder or the rest of the system - check the calipers for leaking seals, and that the discs/pads are in good condition. The front brakes do something like 70% of the stopping, so don't read too much into the rears being cooler - but they shouldn't be cold either!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:22:55 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

the 300 type vacuum pump is crap. Mind, it makes for a very different pedal feel if you lose the vacuum.

crappy pads are also a possibility - or glazed. inoperative rear calipers (siezed), semi-siezed front calipers...

like he says, if the brakes are in good nick, they're good.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tony waffled thusly

My '96/97 Disco has great brakes, so there is something wrong. ;)

As has already been said, check the vacuum pump first. (Assuming there's brake fluid in .. )

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yeah, mine will stand on it's nose and stop from about thirty in about it's own length. The discs do glaze under light use though. I find a good blatt down the dual carriageway followed by long gentle braking periods from high speed cleans them up nicely. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I used to have this problem and the causes were

Vacumn pump was broken ....easily replaced but unit is expensive enough.

Rear break pads were glazed and not working well. I replaced them and I am still surprised at how good the breaking is now.

The only problem I have now is that i cant get the ABS light to go out (see another post)

Regards

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

does it stop better if you pump the pedal to stop rather than just holding it down? (a braking techinque well used by series owners ;-) )

Reply to
Tom Woods

TonyB waffled thusly

mine have never glazed over ... ;)

Mind, they've had to be jetwashed off a few times when I've come home from off-roading and left the bugger for a day or two ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

My 300 tdi 90 brakes began to lose their effectiveness a little while back. The effect was exactly as OP describes, and getting worse.

Cause was found to be the vacuum pump gradually failing. There was no unusual sound accompanying the failure. Pump replaced and problem solved.......until about 2 weeks later, when replacement pump failed suddenly and completely - that was fun, NOT!

Second replacement pump is working fine now.

Neil

Neil