Premium Fuel?

Hi everyone,

I have just made the plunge, after years of admiring at a distance and ten months of drooling (after my first test drive!), I have purchased a 2000 Discovery. I have been reading up on them and I know about the expense of operating it. I live in Canada and the heated windshield and seats will be worth any extra expense!

Not that I mind putting in the more expensive fuel but my question is this; I know that the disco requires premium fuel, but why? I have a friend that I think is very knowledgeable with vehicles and he says that there is really no difference in the performance of the fuel. I thought that the higher octane was only needed if you had a pinging in the top end of the motor.

Can someone please explain this to me; it will give me something to do until I pick it up on Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.

John Briggs

Reply to
JB

[...]

Viviane

I was advised to use premium due to the higher compression ratios than that of an ordinary car.

[...]

Jack Kerouac

[...]

Gordon Wedman