Problem with 90 windscreen wipers..

The angle of wipe is mechanically controlled. If the normal arc is being exceeded something is slipping. Start with the easy bit and check that the arm is not slipping on the drive spline, then that the drive spline is securely attached to the wheelbox output shaft. Beyond that it'll be less easy - gearbox on the motor, wheelbox or the drive 'cable' and you'll probably have to dismantle progressively to diagnose these.

Reply to
Dougal

Every 10 or so wipes my wipers will go a few extra inches and hit the top of the bulkhead. It's not regular as clockwork, just every dozen wipes or so, the rest of the time the wipers cover the normal arc. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it happening? Can't be doing the wipers any good and with the amount of rain we've been having lately I don't want them failing on me.

thanks,

M.

Reply to
McBad

On or around Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:54:32 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

's usually wear, rather than slip - the more floppy all the bits get, the further beyond "normal" the wiper can go - the wetter the conditions, the more likely it is to go too far as well. You can try moving the wiper areound on the shaft a tad, but that might just make it hit the screen side pillar instead.

I think the only sure-fire cure is to replace the flexible drive and the wiper shaft units... which is probably more effort and expense than you want.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd considered that - but concluded that as the complaint was of 'occasional' misbehaviour it didn't really fit the bill. On the other hand high friction events on a drying screen could well result in spline slippage. Gear/shaft jumping would create noise which hasn't been mentioned.

Either way, if the easy problems are eliminated it's going to be hard work.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:51:06 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

Mine on the 110 would wipe a small-ish arc on a dry screen, and a larger one on a wet screen, and an intermittent one on a not-very-wet screen. The play in the drive allows the arm, once moving, to flop down further not under power, if the screen's wet enough. Or that was my interpretation. simple way to check, though, start the wipers going, kill the ignition with 'em half-way up the screen, and get out and see how much you can move the arm. On mine, there was a good 3" movement at the blade tip.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

mine behave similarly ref the wet/dry. with screenwash or much rain the blades touch the rubber screen trim, when dry they stopan inch or two short.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

That's definitely the wear problem.

The wear can often be treated by turning the rack through 180 degrees at the motor. This presents (unless it's already been tried before!) an unworn part of the rack to the gear at the wheelbox. It's a cheap solution if it works. It should work at the wheelbox, too.

Reply to
Dougal

That's less than clear! Disengage the gear at the wheelbox and turn it through 180 degrees to expose the unworn (subject to the previous proviso) side of the gear to the rack. Rather easier to say than to do - mark the position of the gear relative to the wheelbox casing before dismantling and don't disturb the other end of the rack until it's all reassembled.

Reply to
Dougal

Interesting concept. I haven't noticed any odd noises associated with the wiper system, other than the thud as the wiper hits the bulkhead. Turning the gear around sounds like a good idea; I'll consult my manual tomorrow and perhaps have a go at sorting it out (if it's not raining).

Cheers,

M.

Reply to
McBad