Tyre noise

Which factors determine tyre noise? Is it just the tyre, or does wheel geometry play a part?
I had a Dunlop SP Sport Blueresponse fitted to front N/S. Not what I
had ordered, but a mobile tyre fitter came and said they didn't have what I ordered after all. So he fitted the Blueresponse which he had in his van. I would normally pick a low-noise tyre.
This tyre is extremely noisy from the drivers RHD seat. The noise is so bad that it really spoils the car. The noise is clearly road dependent, and I checked that the inner wheel arch plastic lining is intact. The pattern now has 2-3mm left.
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 17:47:39 +0100, johannes wrote:

What's the label roadnoise figure for the road noise from that tyre and from the one you wanted?
On 06/06/2016 18:02, Adrian wrote:

The Dunlop SP Sport Bluresponse tyre noise is listed as 68db, which should be OK.
On 06/06/2016 17:47, johannes wrote:

A professional tyre fitter ? Don't make me laugh, anyone that would fit one, odd, unordered tyre on the front of any road car is not a pro.
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:38:46 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

Bugger me, there's a lot of amateur volunteers spending their time sitting around in tyre depots and vans around the country.
On 06/06/2016 18:40, Adrian wrote:

I know they are out there, but why do people use them?
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:45:43 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

We'll call that a "whoosh", shall we?
On 06/06/2016 18:46, Adrian wrote:

Someone doing a job is not a professional at it unless they can display competence to do the job properly. Obviously I should have realised that 'mobile tyre fitter' and professional are not the same thing at all, and should not have mentioned it. It just amazes me that a bloke in a van is allowed to fit one of the most important safety items on a car without proper training or updating in important details of the job, what else did he do wrong at the same time? I know quite a bit about surgery, but I would not dream of working on a human unless it was life or death.
On 06/06/2016 19:32, MrCheerful wrote:

This is beginning to sound like a Troll...
I wrecked a tyre on a badly lit "traffic calming" kerb a few years ago. At midnight in a dodgy area of Manchester I chose to drive the 1.5 miles home on the flat tyre.
E-Tyres fitted a matching replacement next day. I would not have accepted an odd tyre under any circumstances.
Road noise is a distraction, some road surfaces are deliberately made noisy, like the slip road off the M60 at the Ashton junction. It makes the driver speed conscious as he approaches traffic signals. ;-)
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 07/06/2016 09:06, Gordon H wrote:

It isn't me trolling !!!
It is the one odd summer tyre put on the front that is completely wrong, complaining about the noise should not be the issue. Assuming the car carries a spare then Johannes should put the new Dunlop as the spare and get at least a pair of tyres on each end of the car (preferably all the same make and type), with the best ones on the rear, if he goes to a tyre shop with the qualifications of the fitters displayed on the walls then there is a chance the job will be done correctly and safely.
On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 09:39:53 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

Will a grade E GCSE in PE and a swimming certificate make a big difference to whether the fitters are professionals or amateurs?
On 07/06/2016 09:57, Adrian wrote:

Perhaps they will have accreditation from having completed training courses from tyre makers. Sorry if this is too complicated a concept for you.
On 07/06/2016 09:39, MrCheerful wrote:

The Dunlop tyre is not just any low-rent tyre, and it hasn't caused me any problems apart from the noise. Single tyres are often replaced as a superior option to just repairing a puncture. There is so much that you "should" do in an ideal world, preferably not driving at all. But time, money are often the the bottlenecks, so you just use common sense and not wasting time and money.
On 07/06/2016 09:39, MrCheerful wrote:

Well I KNEW that!

10/10
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 07/06/2016 09:39, MrCheerful wrote:

It is a blessing that the tyre fitter can come to you. Very special equipment is required for fitting and balancing from a van, so it's not something any rogue fitter can get his hands on. Certificates are on a decent website, presumably it's a franchised part of a bigger outfit, so why should we think that the fitter is not qualified? Going to a tyre shop require advanced booking, and then you still have to wait when arriving there.
Replacing a tyre is a superior solution to repairing a tyre. I never drive my car to the limit anyway. Modern tyres are hugely over designed for normal practical use at legal speed limits; just look and the load and speed ratings for the bluresponse: 91 = 615Kg, 149mph
On 09/06/2016 08:54, johannes wrote:

If it had been a proper, knowledgeable, trained fitter then it would not have been fitted to the front. Also particularly worrying is that it is a summer tyre.
How you normally drive has little to do with what happens in an emergency, that is when you discover the truth about a lot of things. Particularly as you sail on onwards, seeming to accellerate toward the object you hit, your foot firmly on the brake pedal, the abs clicking away, yet not stopping as you should be able to, and you realise that ultimately the tyres are the most important component involved in sticking to the road.
On 09/06/2016 09:45, MrCheerful wrote: [...]

If the front tyre then becomes the better tyre, then it follows by physics that brake length is reduced compared to fitting at the rear and swapping to the front.
On 09/06/2016 10:37, johannes wrote:

A new tyre does not magically give the shortest stopping distance.
The use of the best/new tyres on the rear of cars is well established as the safest thing to do all round. A good fitter will actually refuse to fit a new tyre/s to the front only.
Summer tyres are much less grippy when the weather gets colder (the very time you might need the most grip)
MrCheerful wrote: [snip]

That seems counter-intuitive. Is there a credible explanation, please?
--
Graham J

Graham J wrote:

GIYF ;-)