Prop-shafts

A slight vibration has appeared at about 70 to 80mph on my 3.9 Rangie. A loo underneath suggests that a weight has rusted off the rear prop. The UJ's all seem ok.

Anyone know anywhere local to Northants or Warks where I could either get the prop balanced (and what it might cost) or where I could source a new one cheap?

I know I could prolly find one in a scrappy, but that might be no better when I get it on.

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

If its just the balance weight come off, fit a jubilee clip - screw portion where the weight was and see if this makes any difference.

usually with a bit of fiddling you can get it just about spot on vibration wise, the weight isn't very big so one clip is usually all thats needed.

HTH

John

Reply to
Lofty

Hi Simes. I used to get props done at a place called RecoProp in Luton. No idea if they still exist, but they were a good reliable outfit.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

That's what I did with the prop on my MkIII Spitfire (Triumph) about 25 years go. It was hit and miss and after sever days sodding about it sorted the problem.

Perhaps it's just me, but the pleasure of that sort of thing is less apparent to me these days ;-)

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I had googled and seen them mentioned (not by you or in this froup) as being good. I'll give 'em a bell and see if I can transport the prop down there strapped to the bike.

Cheers Russ.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

There is a place in Coventry that sorted mine out but I cannot remember the name, I would have to go sorting through my old reciepts and they will be in a mess

Reply to
Larry

Good old Google I have found it

Propshaft. Dave Mac Propshafts 1-2 Northey Road, Foleshill, Coventry, West Midlands, CV6 5NF, England Tel: + 44 (0) 1203 683239,

Reply to
Larry

AFAIK they do still exist. They're probably not the cheapest outfit, but I have heard good things about them.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Brilliant!

Thanks Larry - nice and near to where I work too. Many thanks - assuming they are still there - the dialling codes for Cov changed from

01203 a long time ago!
Reply to
Simon Atkinson

That would be 02476 now, and they were there a few months back.

Reply to
Larry

Excellent - I knew the code, but thanks for confirming they are still there.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Did you see it reflected in the water, then?

Hur hur.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I bet you're flushed with the success of that one...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson