co-incidence or connection

Today I have noticed two things whilst driving in 2WD with FWH engaged.

Firstly pulling to the left when braking sharply

Secondly severe vibration between 20 and 30 mph, which eases as I back of the throttle.

I have checked the tyre pressures and the shocks seem fine.

So is there a connection, or is the vibration coming from the engine, as it feels like it is misfiring at that speed.

Since I am relatively new to landies I lack the experience to judge all the signs of things going wrong so what should I be checking ?

Larry

1973 series 3 109?
Reply to
Larry

Check that both hubs are fully engaged. I had what sounds like the same prob when I futted FWH to my S2 because I didn't get hem fullygaged - I have also heard that the splines may be unsuitable for certain models if you buy aftermarket one soit may be woth checking if yours are compatable - hope this helps

Mark

1990 90 ex1959s2

Reply to
Mark Cable

Quite common because of brake wear. The Series III brakes are _not_ self adjusting. You should be able to tighten the adjuster until the wheel cannot be turned, and then back off the adjustment. If the adjuster won't lock the wheel, you need new brake shoes.

Pulling to one side can also be a sign of a leaking oil seal -- if so, replace the seal, clean the drum, and replace the brake shoes, both sides.

Check the propshafts. Something could be loose. Do it ASAP, as something coming free and flailing around can do a lot of damage.

Reply to
David G. Bell

The pulling to the left means that your rakes need looking at.

Mine does that after I drive through deep puddles, but sorts itself out after I have used the brakes a bit.

The vibration you are feeling is the front prop shaft rattling about. Remeber that in FWD high you are turning the propshaft regardless of what the FW hubs are doing. Also if you are in 2Hi and the hubs are locked, the front propshaft will also be turning and vibrate.

You could probably get the front propshaft rebuilt and balanced but my take on it is as follows. If you are going fast enough to feel it (about 60km+ in my landy then you probably don't need to be in FWD, and if you need FWD, you should be doing a lot less than 60km in which case it does not affect you. I know some are of the opinion that you should use FWD in snow and ice or sometimes heavy rain on road, but IMHO you should not do this in a series wagon as you do not have the center diff.

The only time you should be in FWD is when you know your wheels can spin enough to release any driveline tension.

If I am in diving in Sodwana where I know I am going to be on and off the beach and messing around in Sibya, then I just lock the hubs when I arrive and leave them that way the whole weekend. This way you just slip in and out of FWD as required but remember to unlock the hubs when you drive home.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie