One piece prop with u/j for Ford 5sp?

Hi all,

I was asking the other day about finding a j/j'd front end to replace the same on my (currently) MKII 1300 Escort powered (ha!) kit car.

The 'issue' being that the Sierra 2L / box I'm about to put in there won't have the same spline configuration so I need to do something.

I have put some feelers out to a couple of places that have been mentioned (here and elsewhere) but I just wondered if it might be an easier quest if I started from the other end?

So, anyone know of a one piece prop that would (most probably) fit my Pinto / 5sp where I could change the rear flange to fit my std Escort diff please?

Someone suggested Angila but I would imagine they would be getting pretty rare and someone else that a Hillman Hunter might fit the box (equally rare!).

It it really comes to it I could get a whole new shaft but this wasn't supposed to be an expensive refit .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

it is best/easiest to just get a new one made, apparently it is about 130 quid made to measure.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember T i m saying something like:

Are you using the standard length Escort prop at the moment?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi Dave,

No, I believe I chopped about 10" off it when we built the thing about

15 years ago. I turned the remaining metal off the prop face of the rear flange in my Myford ML10, cut the tube to the right length with a hacksaw and trued the end using a square and file. I then MIG'ed the flange back onto the tube in bursts, cooling with a wet rag in-between. This was *supposed* to be to just get us through the MOT but it was still on there 5 years later!

I did have it professionally re bearing'd , staked and balanced about

10 years ago.

Why do you ask Dave?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It might even be as cheap .. (by the time I've pinned all the bits down) as well ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember T i m saying something like:

Merely wondering what the starting point would be for off the shelf props that might fit. The shortening of the orig makes that unlikely though. Given that you did all that up there ^^^^, why not just make your own up again anyway?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Good question ..

Ok, I have the rear flange (I can say that here can't I ) type u/j that fits the Ranger diff as it's on there now.

The Pinto / 5sp lump is longer so I will have to cut the prop down further (by a couple of inches ..better than making it longer) ;-)

The *problem* is that the Sierra (and several similar vehicles using that 2L Pinto lump) has a split prop with a rubber doughnut after the gearbox.

The Sierra 'nose piece' (the bit that goes onto the gearbox tail shaft) has 3 cast 'fingers' that would bolt to the mating section on the front section of the existing (Sierra) prop tube via the cush drive. This assembly is too big to fit in the Ranger and more importantly unsuitable to take the required deflection when used with a 'live' diff / axle.

I could stick the nose piece in my lathe and turn off the fingers to leave a round flat flange ready to rake a universal u/j (that I could probably obtain from a prop builder) and weld in to the nose piece / Ranger prop (no room for bolts by that time), but, I'm told the nose pieces are cast and don't lend themselves to being welded?

So the biggest stumbling block for me at the moment is locating a u/j'd nose piece to fit the Sierra that I could potentially fabricate onto the existing Ranger prop assy?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Last time I needed something like this I went to recoprop in Luton. I don't know if they're still there, but it has to be a lot easier than trawling the scrapyards. Probably not hugely more expensive either.

Reply to
TTT

After some advice from here and other places I phoned them today ;-)

A suitable nose piece to suit the Seirra box is about 35 quid, 13 for the u/j and about 20 for the prop tube half of the yoke.

More than I had in mind for the job but not bad I suppose .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m