Q? Operation of B-W Xfer (RR Classic)

Just a quick query, I know nothing about the workings of a Borg-Warner Xfer box. I have one fitted to a 200Tdi, there is no difflock setting, only high/low. I am led to understand that it has a LSD in the box.

If i lift any single wheel and attempt to turn it, it absolutly refuses to turn, the only movement is the backlash in the diff - the props would to all apperances appear to be directly coupled together. Is this correct?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The 'box contains an ordinary 4 pinion differential. It is not a LSD.

Where this 'box differs from the others is that the diff lock function is performed by a viscous coupling which progressively 'locks' the front prop to rear prop as the speed differential between them increases.

This is normal - you will get some small movement if you maintain a continual torque at the raised wheel for some time. With a rear wheel raised, the park brake should be released.

I'll send you an extract from the manual if you like - how much of that e-mail address works? Or contact me directly making the obvious change to my address.

Reply to
Dougal

I've got a brand new VC on my bench. Must be 2 minutes to turn it through 1 rev. I bought it because I thought my P38a was scrubbing the front tyres. You are welcome to come and feel how stiff it is .. ffnarr

Reply to
Wafty

As Dougal and Wafty have said, I wouldnt worry too much.

I thought that the one on my P38 was siezed when i wanted to turn the front wheel in order to make it easier to get to the propshaft bolts. I really had to heave on it to get it to turn but it did eventually.

The one on my Tdi classic WAS siezed though. Solution was to fit a manual locking transfer box from a junked discovery, using the spare transmission overheat light as a difflock light. If you go this route, you also need the discovery front prop. I used the handbrake from the disco aswell

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

On or around Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:26:51 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

get a wheelbrace and lean on it, it should turn very slowly. There are figures in the book for how long it takes to turn the VC at a specified torque - in terms of x seconds to do 7 degrees. You then have to divide the degrees or multiply the time OR the torque applied to account for the diff ratio.

e.g. suppose it says at 50 lb.ft it should turn 35 degrees in 10 seconds. working at the wheel, because of the diff CWP gearing, it'll move less/slower or require more torque. If you've lifted one wheel, I *think* you have to multiply by half the diff ratio.

But just in terms of trying to spin the wheel by hand, then the answer is "yes", i.e. it doesn't turn.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, that's alright. Just not having had a B-W xfer on any previous vehicle I was unsure as to the operation.

Ooo. Be carefull what you offer, ducky....

Alex

Reply to
Alex