Re: Land Rover Question.

No. All current models are (although the Freelander system is fundamentally different to the others). Series Land Rovers (pre 1983 ish) are part-time 4WD, except Stage 1 V8.

Transfer box takes input from the main gearbox and transfers it to the front and rear axle, or to the rear axle only in 2WD mode. They also have two different gear ratios - high and low.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Quick trivia question needing answered.

> >All Land Rovers are permanent 4WD?

No.

Also what is the transfer box used for?

That's two questions...

Reply to
Mother

David Brown tried to scribble ...

Nope ..

It's used to transfer the gearbox output to the front or rear driveshafts, depending upon whether the driver selects 2 or 4 wheel drive .. ;)

Wasn't that TWO quick questions ?

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

Series Landrovers are permanent 4WD when working in low transfer, well Series 2 & 3 are anyway, I know little about the Series 1.

cheer, Tim

Reply to
Gaynor Bott

Well, they can operate in 4x4 high range also. But in 'normal' use they are 4x2, so are not 'permanent' 4x4. By contrast, Range Rover / Disco / 101 etc are permanent 4x4 because they have no 4x2 mode.

Some of the very first S1's were actually permanent 4x4, but I don't know the details of the system. And there were some 4x2 Series Land Rovers made (not many).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:13:53 +1000, "samuel mcgregor" enlightened us thusly:

not sure whether more than about 1 was made. Seen pictures of it, bloody great double-wishbone system, and as you say crap ground clearance. Not easy to do with a front engine - ideally, you need a mid-engine layout so you can get yer front diff high enough up, have the engine offset as LR do anyway, and it'd work - you also need quite long wishbones to get good axle travel without the geometry going silly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

(snip)

(snip)

Series 1 up to about 1950? had full time four wheel drive. There was no centre diff, but instead of this a free wheel on the front drive shaft, which could be locked by pulling up on a ring on the floor so you had four wheel drive in reverse. I think it was locked automatically in low range but I am not sure. The front axle had "Tracta" CV joints but was otherwise the same as all series axles. JD

Reply to
JD