Re: OT: Cheap PMRs and Brake Assist

Can't see how. Even without Brake Assist I could lock up all four wheels to the point that ABS did its stuff, so someone braking 'properly' would get exactly the same force from the seatbelts. I would have braked that hard eventually, but much more gradually, hence longer stopping distance.

Incidentally, ABS can do things that even the 'perfect' driver cannot

- e.g. modulate the braking force to individual wheels. Which is presumably why racing cars have it where permitted and where the extra weight is justified by lap time gains.

It was a strange feeling, suddenly feeling the brakes go more powerful. However as soon as you release pedal pressure normal service is resumed. I'm happy to sort out the rear-end shunt with the guy behind while the small child pedals off on his bike.

I get your point, but I recently had an incident where I was almost rear-ended in the Passat by a Micra, simply because I had great brakes and she didn't. The Transit behind her had even worse brakes, which is why her Micra is almost certainly now a write-off. If all the cars in that sequence had crap brakes then that accident wouldn't have happened, but somewhere at the front something nasty would have happened.

We shouldn't limit the stopping potential of new cars because old cars aren't as good. The drivers of the old cars (including me) need to be aware of the potential of the car in front and position themselves accordingly. That's kind of why I posted it here.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Tim> was normal (but not as hard as was possible) and therefore Tim> did its stuff.

I have heard of a few people who brake "properly" (brake assist is designed to help tbe people who don't brake hard enough when necessary) getting a nasty surprise (read: thrown against the seatbelts hard enough to cause bruises) when they did hit the brakes in an emergency

Tim> I'm glad I wasn't being tailgated by a 101...

Which is why I'm very nervous of this latest invention. ABS? Lovely! Traction Control? All for it. Launch Control (accelerator to the floor and foot on the clutch means 3,000 rpm on the nose, and all the power the traction control can lay through the rubber when you bring the clutch up)? If you must... but Brake Assist is something that I'm very wary of.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Tradex at Pudsey in Leeds has a box of 6 PMR's for about £30

Reply to
wayne

Hmmm - isn't that called leaving a sufficient gap between vehicles?

Reply to
pl.white

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs at snipped-for-privacy@101ambulance-urine.net wrote on 1/4/04 10:02 PM:

We bought some from Argos a couple of years ago with those BP points cards. They came in handy when we went to Eastnor and the LROI show last year, especially as Bruce had a tendancy to disappear to go a look in a box of reclaimed parts for one 10 spline free wheeling hub. It meant if we got split up for some reason, we could arrange to meet up somewhere. We did find though, that we could pick up conversations of other people with similar radios, so be carefull not to go and arrange to meet the wrong person!

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I guess it can be called lots of things. My point (obvious though it may be) is that the gap is not fixed - it depends on the vehicle behind and the vehicle in front and the road in between.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

True Tim, and I wasn't trying to be facetious, but it is a graphic example of what can happen.

Reply to
pl.white

It certainly opened my eyes - the stopping power was very impressive.

BTW, did you know that 'facetious' is one of only two words in the English language to contain exactly five vowels and in alphabetical order?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

|| BTW, did you know that 'facetious' is one of only two words in the || English language to contain exactly five vowels and in alphabetical || order? ||

Well, abstemious is the other one (but also there are abstentious and parecious; adventitious is sort of cheating cos the "i" appears twice). But what about "subcontinental" or "uncomplimentary"? And what do "essay", "enemy", "excellency" and "expediency" have in common?

I know, get a life...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Something to do with being made up of letter sounds? I'm sure there is a much more technical term for it...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Bugger - that'll teach me to work late being late in with the abstemious reply!!!! Subcontinental/uncomplimentary have all the vowels in reverse order. But you lost me on the rest; going for more gin.

Reply to
pl.white

|| ||| ||||| BTW, did you know that 'facetious' is one of only two words in the ||||| English language to contain exactly five vowels and in ||||| alphabetical order? ||||| ||| ||| Well, abstemious is the other one (but also there are abstentious ||| and parecious; adventitious is sort of cheating cos the "i" appears ||| twice). But what about "subcontinental" or "uncomplimentary"? And ||| what do "essay", "enemy", "excellency" and "expediency" have in ||| common? ||| ||| I know, get a life... ||| |||

Bugger - that'll teach me to work late being late in with the || abstemious reply!!!! Subcontinental/uncomplimentary have all the || vowels in reverse order. But you lost me on the rest; going for || more gin. ||

SA, NME, XLNC, XPDNC

Wasn't worth it, I know.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:03:05 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

gah.

P C

Reply to
Austin Shackles