Re: RR Classic, leaking brake fluid

Not quite sure what you mean, but....... If you are on about a RR Classic with a Lucas Girling (1987 onwards?) servo/master rather than the ABS type.... there are two rubber inserts that sit in the top of the master cylinder where the plastic resevoir mounts, both of these are contained in a standard master cylinder recon kit, though you MANY have to remove the master cylinder to fit them..... I believe the same is true of the earlier (pre-1987?) AP brake system.

part 7 on the AP system diagram:

part 16 on the LG diagram
I would remove the resevoir, inspect for damage, if none try and get replacement seals/rubbers.

Anybody else wanna chip in?

VBM wrote:

I have a leak in one (maybe both) of the two cylinders which connect the > brake fluid container to the rest of the assembly. I am ready to buy a > whole new container unit, which I believe would contain those two cylinders, > but I thought I would ask here first whether it could be a gasket or > something that could be more easily fixed. I am not a mechanic or even a > good tinkerer, so I would not be comfortable taking the whole thing apart > myself unless I knew it was most likely fixable. > >
Reply to
Sam Clayton

Not quite sure what you mean, but....... If you are on about a RR Classic with a Lucas Girling (1987 onwards?) servo/master rather than the ABS type.... there are two rubber inserts that sit in the top of the master cylinder where the plastic resevoir mounts, both of these are contained in a standard master cylinder recon kit, though you MANY have to remove the master cylinder to fit them..... I believe the same is true of the earlier (pre-1987?) AP brake system.

part 7 on the AP system diagram:

part 16 on the LG diagram
I would remove the resevoir, inspect for damage, if none try and get replacement seals/rubbers.

Anybody else wanna chip in?

VBM wrote:

Reply to
Sam Clayton

It is, indeed, the Lucas Girling and the leaking is coming out connection where the "16" (the two cylinders) on the diagram you link connects. I would bet that a replacement of just those two cylinders would solve the problem. Being in the US limits my sources, though. Is it likely that I will be able to buy these cylinders alone, without the whole master cylinder "kit"?

What are those cylinders called, exactly?

Reply to
VBM

Usually the cost of a recon kit is about 20 UKP (30 USD?), I'm sorry I have no idea if they are individual parts or just come as a kit. (I don't have the parts book to check...)

"the two reservoir seals from the master cylinder inlet ports" is how they are refered to in the Land Rover servicing manual for the brake system. I have no idea if they have another name.

Sorry I can't be more help.... You may want to download the "brakes" PDF form here:

Cheers, Sam

Reply to
Sam Clayton