Re: SIII Clutch release bearing

Hi,

> I have just bought a clutch bearing from Simmonites. £19.95 +vat or £20 >for cash. >"Bit expensive" thinks I but I wanted to get on with the job so I handed >over the cash. > Got it home to find that it didn't come with the retaining clips. >I can't see that the clips do much, other than hold the bearing in place >during fitting. >Anybody know whether the clips are necessary once the gearbox/engine are >together?

None of the ones that i have done have ever had clips.

So obviously they cant be that important/necessary! :)

For £20 I hope that its a nice strong bearing!. The cheap ones from Paddocks are made of crappy plastic. I put a new one in, and it siezed up and melted within a month or so!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, I don't order from Paddocks any more. I ordered a pair of halfshaft UJ's for a mate recently. The ones that arrived were jap-crap, one had several needle rollers missing, and the other had a shagged spider - one cup ran rough as hell. The end result - I made one good one out of two, had a blazing row with Paddocks and sent the remaining one back.

And the bill for the two UJ's and postage from paddocks came to just as much as buying genuine LR ones from a local landrover dealer anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've taken to buying stuff locally from Brookwells - they're not as cheap as Paddocks but, I can go back there if I have any problems and the people on the desk Know What They Are Talking About

I'm afraid, to my shame, that I have gone back to buying from Paddocks - but just basic stuff as anything too involved they always seem to screw up - I stopped using them about two years ago after the following:

Hallo? That Paddocks? Yes Send me a RH front halfshaft (complete) for a Ser 2a Landrover OK - that's RH? Yes - RH need it urgent, here's lots of money for 24 hour delivery

Next day I get a sodding LH halfshaft, delivery note says RH, I ring up Paddocks they say - we sent a RH - I say no you sent a LH

They then tell me that they will not send out the correct one until I get the other one back to them so that they can verify that it is their mistake and that I am not pulling a fast one.

8 days later I get my bloody halfshaft (grrrrr)

Graeme

p.s. I fitted a clutch and new release bearing from Paddocks about 3-4 years ago in the Ser 2A - the bearing has been screaming at me for about a year now and is sh*gged - I just cannot be arsed ripping the thing apart to stick another one in there

Reply to
Graeme

Should be.. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:57:35 +0100, "Graeme" enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, they've never screwed up any of my orders.

well, that's an obvious cockup, indeed.

trouble is, no doubt people do try it on. Be nice if you could trust people, and most people can indeed be trusted, but these days you can't afford to ignore the few who are out to fleece you.

and about the questions of quality that people raise...

You buy stuff which is for sale at half or less (sometimes a lot less) the price that Land Rover charge, it's not surprising that the quality isn't always the same.

I took a recently-acquired headlamp mounting panel up to the local car body place to get them to etch it for me, and the chap there said "where did you get this?" so I said "Paddocks" and he said that when you order the same thing from Land Rover, all you get os the front panel. Paddock's one has all the headlamp mounting stuff and the bit that fastens it onto the wheel arch. Panels fit OK too, bearing in mind we're talking about a Land Rover here :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles