101 Power Loss Loss

We don't really know what we did.

Well, Warren knows what he did, but most of it he'd done before.

But for the first time today I set off from one place to go to another and got there without a misfire, a layby, an RAC man, a Basil Fawlty 'damn good thrashing' or any other unpleasant incident.

So I guess the truck is fixed, and Martyn has a space outside his house that really does need to be filled with something large.

Warren decided in the end that the best approach was to ignore it for a day (it was probably attention seeking). Then he went back and removed the carbs. And the fuel lines. And the distributor. And the top of the engine.

And then he put it all back together again. And it's sweet! So it was something in the carbs. Or the fuel pump. Or a leak in the inlet manifold. Or the distributor. Definitely. So if anyone has a similar problem, take your engine, fuel and electrics to bits and put it back together.

On the plus side Warren reckons my V8 is about the cleanest he's seen, the carbs and timing gear and pretty good so there is some good news at least. And the distributor and leads look kinda cool in a bright red way. I'm now tempted by some RPI bright red rocker covers...

I hate sound on websites, but just for tonight I'm making an exception.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CHIPPED IN WITH SUGGESTIONS. IT TURNS OUT THAT YOU WERE ALL RIGHT!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

ROFLMAO excellent

Reply to
Sluff

Congratulations! :)

I got mine back together today, and used it to pump all the tires up on the other landies in the drive :)

The pictures is a bit out of date!. Should be a nice red one!.

Also, I thought that your ambi was called snort? Has it been re-christened now? Mine still needs a name :( ('you bastard' is the closest it's got yet!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yup, we changed the name 'cos it never quite stuck. I'm now considering whether the Disco should be Ernie...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

The thrust trunnion was out of skew with the gimble flap.

Odd that it doesn't play with my browser even though other sites play properly. I had to pull the mp3 out of the cache file, play it manually then switch back to the website to enjoy the full effect.

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 Media Player 9.00.00.3008 WindowsME All updates installed.

Reply to
PDannyD

Windows ME? I'm sure you deserve better...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Works OK on my PC - nice sense of humour there :-))

Enjoy

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Nobody did anything - the ambi simply sensed that a chainsaw was very, very near and in danger of being used in anger instead of a fawlty tree branch...

Hmm, yeah - I'd better start preparing Charlotte - and the neighbours for the 7'6" wide delight that is about to adorn the space outside Poggle Wood!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I walk to work in the morning.

Well, stumble, mainly... :-)

Reply to
Mother

Why don't you move your office into the bedroom, then you could just sit in bed and work.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Sat, 02 Aug 2003 22:22:55 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

yay! hope it stays that way.

red paint... cheaper!

didn't do anything today, only just arrived here :-(

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:16:06 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

managed to get the sound by squinting at the page source. I was expecting V8 noises...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

erm... best not to comment methinks... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Not my best ever web page, but in my defence my live-in web designer was busy changing a nappy so I nicked the tags off the RPI site and substituted my own MP3. A bit on the big side sadly...

I do have a half finished website that I will post one day. I also have another, completely different, half-finished website that I ought to merge into it.

Time time time, see what's become of me...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

so was I.

Reply to
Nikki

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:12:59 -0700, "John Page" made me spill my meths by writing:

I live near a TVR garage in Harrogate, shirley it would work with a microphone in their workshops rather than outside as they roll the cars out of a morning. Cuts down on a lot of ambient noise etc.

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

From: "Austin Shackles"

Have you any idea how hard it is to get a good sound sample of a V8 (assuming you don't actually have the real thing to sample yourself). If anyone wants to volunteer to make some 44.1khz

16bit samples for me (Starting, idling, running up to ~2000rpm and staying there for 10 seconds or so ) then it would really be appreciated.

I have a project that needs them but thaey have to be CD quality. The more throaty the engine the better.

]
Reply to
John Page

I could possibly be tempted to go dig my broadcase quality Uher out, or do a digital (spit) rec at this specification of Grumbles 4.6L + large bore stainless sports exhausted sound...

What's the 'project'?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I had a go last night with my digital camcorder, but only with the Discovery. I did the exhaust end, not under the bonnet. Results were rather disappointing! I may have been too close, but I did at least find the rev limiter on a 3.9 (5000 rpm).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

snip

snip

Don't know if it is any good to you, but I still have my old 101 accelerating through the gears on my site.

Still on the run from Martyn's missus!

Reply to
Mike Derrick