Re: Spray-on mud and speed cameras?

Hi,

> > Does anyone use spray-on mud, or know anyone else who does? > > I am a journalist researching a story on products like the one at >
> Have you used such products, or know any stories about people who have? > > What are the ways in which it can be used and why? Such products are > marketed to 4x4 owners looking to give their vehicle an authentic > just-been-up-the-side-of-a-mountain look, but I have read from some > people who say they could be used to cover cars' registration plates to > avoid detection by speed cameras (something the manufacturer of the > above product says it does not condone and an activity it > discourages)... Got any stories about either of these uses? Ever used > spray-on mud yourself to avoid getting nicked or flashed? > > What do you think of spray-on-mud - handy way for busy drivers to get > 4x4 street cred, pointless yuppie posturing, perfect way to evade the > long arm of the law? > > I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this type of thing or who has > any anecdotes. > > If you'd rather not be identified, email snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. > > Thanks.

Pointless yuppie posturing. Driving with a number plate obscured, whether it is sprayed on or real mud, is illegal and subject to very heavy fines and loss of points, as you are presumably aware since you cross posted to aus.cars.offroad. JD

Reply to
JD

If you have mud obscuring your lights and numberplate you are likely to get a slap on the wrist from mister policeman, it's naughty, weather that mud came from the ground or a can.

It seems odd to me that you can buy spray on mud when I spend an hour every week washing mud off, diffrent folks and all that.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

[snip]

This has been cross posted to all the following newsgroups: uk.rec.driving,alt.fan.landrover,aus.cars.offroad,uk.rec.cars.4x4, uk.rec.cars.misc

If I wanted to cover my vehicle in mud I'll find the real stuff!.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

aus.cars.offroad not resolved

"Larry" schreef in bericht news:d803h8$13d$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk

How about a Saab?

Right!

I have an authentic 1982 RRC tailgate, with plenty of rust. No thanks.

Reply to
aghasee

There is a legal precedence that provides an unassailable defence against a range of potential motoring offences. For any prosecutable fault, such as a blown bulb, dirty number plate and even in some cases, a faulty speedometer, an unassailable defence is that you checked the item immediately before starting your journey and it was, as far as could reasonably be judged, functioning according to legal requirements . Unswervingly maintaining such a position cannot fail providing there are no other aggravating factors, such as saying "I started my journey in Timbuktu and the number plates were clean as a whistle when I left a week ago". At one time it sometimes took an appeal to convince magistrates of this but these days very few low level prosecutions would be exerted against such a defence. Just don't try saying that your tyre was legal before you started out when the steel cords are showing through rubber!

Reply to
Moving Vision

I think the presumption behind this whole silly idea is that an obscured numberplate carries a fine, but being caught by a speed camera carries a fine and points on your licence.

The best anser is not to go through these cameras at illegal speed surely, that costs nothing.

Reply to
Larry

Personally I do all I can to avoid breaking laws, any laws, including muddy numberplates and speed limits. But it seems few see things the same way as I.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I've seen a branch of natwest done that way to good effect.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Bullshit!

Actually, now I think about it, I think it was cow shit...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

twas on a summers day and many windows were open if memory serves...

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I'll wager that he shouted sommat about making a deposit!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I, OTOH, try to adhere to the 11th commandment :)

Reply to
Niamh Holding

I've come close to doing that on the CBR, but then 500 miles is 1/4 of the lifespan of a rear tyre.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Driving back from Leeds with a slightly bent track rod - 1 BFG down to the cords in 99 miles!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In news: snipped-for-privacy@fullbore.co.uk, Niamh Holding blithered:

Do unto others before they do unto you?

Reply to
GbH

Thou shalt not get caught!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I lent my granada to someone once who thought it'd be fun to play with the powerful engine with the footbrake full-on, had to beat a pair of rear tyres out of him, I have never seen anything so bald.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Well I have driven with one front wheel 2 inches out of alignment to the rear of the other with no appreciable effect on my tyres over about 20 miles or so.

Reply to
Larry

Isn't that the 12th?

Reply to
Niamh Holding

In article , Larry writes

In 1976 I drove a Volvo F10 with a 40' trailer from Posnan in Poland to London. For lengthy and exciting reasons I won't go into now the right front wheel axle was bent out of kilter by about 45%, a truly bizarre looking situation but the truck seemed to drive completely normally and the additional tyre wear to the right shoulder was surprisingly slight. But then I've seen an artic tractor unit with a trailer attached drive for many miles with one front wheel entirely missing!

Reply to
Moving Vision