Re: Waxoil Weekend

I'm planning on Waxoiling my SIII this weekend. I have bought 12.5l of black

>Waxoil 2l of white sprit and the Waxoil pressurising kit with extension bit. >

I believe advice is to stick the drum in a bucket of hot water for 30 minutes before spraying - should make it flow / spray better.

Does anybody have any advice on this process, anything I should pay >particular attention to. Do I need to mask off any areas, I was going to >cover the brake drums and handbrake. >

I assume you don't mean cover them with waxoyl! The most important area is INSIDE the chassis and bulkhead.

Can you put too much on or is it the more the better? >

I would imagine that enough is enough and more is no better, but not enough is worse (if you follow me). So err on the side of too much, but don't get silly. I would imagine getting it as clean as possible is a good start, so perhaps pressure wash on Saturday and waxoyl on Sunday. That's what I did with the Disco, except I got distracted on the Sunday and therefore only actually washed it...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Best to soften before pressure washing. Use a garden sprinkler overnight to wash all of the underside. This makes pressure washing safer and more effective. If necessary use a scraper or wire brush, a couple of small used toothbrushs also helps to get into inaccessible places.

Waxoyl 'creeps' very well but it's best to do the 'hard to get at' areas first in small blasts. If there're any holes, spray into them directly, if there's anywhere you cant get at easily, find a way before you start. Once all of the fiddly bits are done, wait an hour or so before giving the rest a good coating.

Obviously, mask, goggles, full coveralls etc...

Reply to
Mother

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:22:50 +0100, Mother woke me up from day-dreaming about allsorts of things and broke forth with the following words:

'cos if you don't you look like you've been in a Very hot country, hotter than the UK yesturday!!!!

Reply to
Dan

It's got a little bit of bitumen in it, but as far as I can tell does about the same job.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Thanks for that, is it just the chassis and bulkhead or do I cover everything that can rust? axel, springs etc.

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

you can't spin the starter. The Waxoyl kit I bought once had a plastic pipe with a nail in the end to act as a disperser. What a joke. I threw it in the bin and bought a cheap garden spray in the market.

Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

Hi Martin,

I have given lots of advice of DIY Waxoyling on

Do a search for Waxoyl.

Cheers Chris Parkinson

Chris Parkinson

Just done my landy, recommend you cover your self from head to foot, the stuff is a right B******d to get of skin without the help of alcohol/sprits. Not a good ideal to use the spay head if the wind is a little high.

I found having some thinners close by to clean the spray head helps seems to clog a lot. putting the container in a bucket of hot water also helps.

Reply to
wayne

Possibly the best excuse for a piss up I've heard in ages...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Martin .... are you sure you want to do this on one of the hottest weekends of the year? It's a dirty sweaty job at the best of times! I usually do my waxoyling in April or October ..... so that the heat doesn't fray my temper even more. Saying that, the hot weather will help to keep the Waxoyl runny.

My advice (already given by others) is to focus on the tricky-to-get-at areas first. I use a brush to stipple it on into the corners of the chassis. Don't be tempted just to do the bits you can easily reach!

Have a nice weekend!

Judith (also Wirral)

Reply to
Judith

And don't forget that, in this hot weather, it will creep and drip out of various holes onto your lovely clean drive for days to come !!

As I found out the hard way - after doing mine in the Spring...

Have fun.

Martin

66KJ55
Reply to