Rust-bucket to trialler

A friend has just got a swb s3 2.25 petrol and wants to get into trialling. The engine seems fine and the transfer box and gearbox have recently been rebuilt. All chassis also fine.

He wants to find an old Range Rover and squeeze the it's V8 into his S3, As I expect he may need to replace or at least overhaul all of his transmission I thought a 300tdi would be better (and not mind the wet so much).

However we'd both like to put a V8 into it, assuming we can get an old Range Rover what kind of work is involved fitting the engine? Should we use the RR's auto box or the S3's manual? How about tranfer box's? And should we have the axles away also (disk brakes)? Could we have it's power stearing also? How would we waterproof the electrics?

As we are working on/fitting the engine what would it be wise to do service-wise on it? oil and all filters I think. how about timing? (chain or belt?)

What could we do to modify it for more performance cheaply? carbs? fancy spark plugs? air filter?

I think we should fit a roll cage to it also, I'd just feel better that way ;o) as we want to trial it, how much money for a cage we can fit ourselves (neither of us has much cash)?

Any other advice would be gratefully recieved also.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mr.niceATsofthome.nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mrnice106___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:01:17 +0100 when "Richard Brookman" put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks I'll do that ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mr.niceATsofthome.nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mrnice106___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

My one suggestion is to have a go at a trial or two before you start hacking the vehicle to bits. There are lots of garages and driveways all over the country full of unfinished competition vehicles.

Although I am not suggesting for a minute that you and your friend would join their ranks it might be worth building up a good bank of enthusiasm for when elements of the conversion go wrong (and they will!)

The other advantage of having a go first is that you can draw ideas from other competitors vehicles and your own experience as to what is the best route for modification. Most trials competitors are only too happy to share their knowledge and expertise as well as their mistakes. Listening to them could save you a considerable amount of time and money!

Your vehicle in standard form will be perfectly capable to get into trialling and you will have a load of fun from it before you start spending any more on it.

If you are not already a club member there is quite a good club internet links list on my website

Whatever else you do, have fun!

Regards

Henry