Rear body mounts RR Classic

Having just changed the rear bumper on the RR, I noted that the rear body mounts are looking slightly mankey. I doubt if they will pass the MOT in Jan, so how easy are they to change?. It looks to me like you grind off the old ones and weld new ones in.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Don't worry about it overly - I had VOSA inspect a RRC I suspected of being extremely dodgy and they told me that as long as more than half the mounts were intact then it wasn't an issue - there are 8 in total.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Having just done this very same job on my Dad's RRC, I can say that the job is not difficult, just a bit time consuming.

A std. repair section is available (rear body mount x-member, for about £35).

You have to remove the rear bumper, lower tailgate ('cos it fastens to the rear body mount x-member...), rear wings with the corner (rear light) panels for access.

The only unknown is the state of the rear floor in the corners - we had to patch 'em up, but not too tricky.

We used a hi-lift to 'distort' the rear body enough to get the replacement member in, clamped it down with the rubbery things, positioned the rear body where it should be and welded the bugger in place. This took about a day, and the other repairs added another half day.

To be honest, it's not as traumatic as is seems! Once you get going, you should be OK - assumung you can weld.....

Good luck!

Regards,

Horse

Reply to