wanted: RR classic spoiler lamp.

I have noticed that one of my spoiler(?) mounted spotlights is now minus it's glass. Must have been the stress of going up that mountain.

Has anyone got one lying around in their shed somewhere that I can purchase. None on Ebay or the usual suspects.

Not keen about spending 40 quid on a pair of new lights........

Ta

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Strangely enough the lenses have recently dropped off both of my spoiler mounted fog lamps. When I bought the (blue) RR both spoiler lamps were broken and when I found that the power was not linked to main beam I assumed that they were fog lamps and replaced with the same. The handbook for the green RR clearly describes them as spot lamps - and they too are not linked to main beam. AFAIUI additional spot lamps must extinguish when main beam does. How do RR get away with it? Is this why you see so many w***********s driving with dip beam plus fog lamps now?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Easy answer on the RRC the spoiler lights are driving (spot) lights and work only on high beam, unless of course they are fiddled with - done by taking the switching current from the dipped beam circuit . You can save your self a mint by buying a pair of square 'Ring' spots at less than £20 which fit exactly and look the same unless you get really close to , the 'Ring' logo peels off btw and you can always print a tiny Landrover oval on self adhesive film if you want to be picky ( I did looks quite good actually ). If they are on the dip circuit you are required to have an illuminated indicator on the dash to show they are on.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek wrote: d

Derek

Not (as far as I can tell at present) fiddled with!

Certainly the fogs will have a tell tale - just as the spots do at present.

Now can you explain why the rear fog lamps only work on dip beam? Not for long, I hasten to add.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's how they are supposed to be wired, could/would fail M.O.T if you change it. Consider driving in thick fog where you would need the rear fogs lit in case someone came up behind you pretty quick, in those conditions you wouldn't want to be driving on main beam anyway. The thing that annoys me about rear fog lamps is when they leave them on when you *are* behind them and they *know* you are, in the same way that it's nice if I switch to side marker lamps when following someone in fog, it makes it easier for them to see without me half blinding them. The downside to that is if the fog is really bad then you need your own high intensity rears on but you can't do that on sidelights.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Hi Martin

Maybe I wasn't being clear.

This is how the lights operate on my SAAB 95:

[1] the front fogs operate with either parking or dipped/main beam. [2] rear high intensity lights only operate when either front fogs or main/dipped beam are on. i.e. they will not operate with only parking lights.

This is how I would expect the RR lights to operate. In fact that is how they work on my 88 Classic (now!). The requirement for more than parking lights is satisfied by it having Dim/Dip lights. Strangely that is achieved by electronics whereas my 90 Classic has a nasty dropper coil mounted next to one of the horns to drop the current.

The only 'illegal' enhancements are the way that the hazard light switch also controls the rear fogs if they are on. This has never fazed MOT testers - only brought smiles. Also I have fitted sidelights into the rear side reflectors - NAS spec I think - but wired the bulbs across the tail light and indicator supplies, using the filament of the unlight bulb as an earth path. I'll leave you to work out the lighting permutations when both tail lights and indicators are simultaneously powered.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

the rear fogs get their switching feed to the relay from the dipped beam circuit when you turn to main beam you remove the feed and out they go, the wiring diagram is right near the end of the manual page 73 onwards I would leave that well alone btw as its wired according to regulations, telltale lamp and permitted usage -you wouldn't want to upsets Tony's Transport gang now would you

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Hi Derek

Refer to my previous posting re the SAAB lighting.

BTW I know how the rear fogs on the RR are wired. I was only querying how it compares with the SAAB. Maybe it is wired according to the regs in 1988?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ah I misunderstood the gist of the query but sounds right for the 1986 Construction and Use regs front fog lights may be used with or instead of dipped headlights ( so with sidelights per Saab) mind you without digging around I couldn't say for sure that some EU regulation has changed everything round, I do hate govt websites most are useless the rest are just blatent advertising. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Umm ... getting back on topic. I think that I've got some but they might take some unearthing.

Any specific make that you want to match? Where are you?

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:38:01 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

but it's not legal to use them with the dipped beams. AFAIK it's legal to have more or less any light that ain't blue or red on with the main beams.

It's supposed to be dip beams OR front fogs. Why TF the regulations don't call for cars to be made so that only one or tother can be on at the same time eludes me, it'd be a simple enough thing to do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:29:00 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

you want "Road Vehicles (Lighting) Regulations 1989" ISTR.

It's an offence against C&U to use dip beams and fogs simultaneously, although no-one ever gets done for it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Clear enough, it was the question 'Now can you explain why the rear fog lamps only work on dipped beam?' which is how they should be.

They're not supposed to work with main beam, don't know about just front fogs but it's a sensible alternative

Side reflector lights stay on with tail lights and flash on as indicator goes off?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sort of but I'd express it the other way round: the ON flash of the indicator extinguishes the side light.

Very eyecatching and so, presumably, illegal. Good for M way overtaking manoevers.

Richard ;-)

Reply to
Richard

Thanks, Not bothered about any make in particular, as long as it's square and it fits in the 'ole! Unbelievably, the bulb still works, despite it being out in the elements for the few days. Must look like it has a bit of a squint though.

If you do manage to find one, let me know how much you want for it / them.

I'm in Pembrokeshire, West Wales.

Thankyou muchly

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I assume you mean a saab 9-5 not a 95? (just checking if there is another classic saab owner here? ;) )

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sorry yes, 1999 SAAB big 9 little 5 - thinly disguised Vectra wearing a SAAB badge

R ;-)

Reply to
Richard

s'not a proper saab then ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

should be a simple task with a pair of wire-cutters

scnr :)

Reply to
William Tasso

But (b) only if the vehicle is intended to be driven on the RHS of the road!?

Reply to
JacobH