Rear Springs '96/97 Disco 300 Tdi ????

'specially for Nige ... How the f*ck do you undo the bolts holding the bottom plates of the rear springs to the axle? And how the f*ck did you do it on an angled driveway? I've got flat ground and can lift the wheels off the ground but access to the bolts is still a bitch. (Yes, the wheels are off.. ;))

Can't get an pneumatic impact or angled wrench in, or a manual ratchet wrench and the bloody ring spanners don't have the angle at the ring to a) go over the spring where I can reach it or b) turn it when it's on !!!!! 'cos the bottom needs to be undone before you can turn the spring to remove it ... :( I is not a happy bunny at the mo'.

Anyone any clues? Any tips to make it easier? They have been soaked in WD40 for three days, sprayed on every four hours ish, so it sinks in.

Really getting close to borrowing my bro's gas axe .... but I'll try here, then me Angle Grinder first.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Jack up under the body the increase in extension you get in the springs gives enough clearance to get an offset ring spanner in once its moving a ratchet ring spanner will wizz it off in a jiff. Derek

Reply to
Derek

actually for the more literal amongst up I should have said under the chassis. Derek

Reply to
Derek

That's the problem ... Wheels are off the ground, everything jacked up by the chassis so the spring coils are spread, but I still can't get a ratchet wrench between the coils. The ring spanners I have can't get in and get enough purchase to turn the bolts and they don't go over the nuts below. I'm assuming the nuts below are captive to the axle 'cos I have nothing that will turn them or even go over the bloody things?

Just, while I typed the above, had a thought that I might need to remove the damper to get more axle droop and thus coil extension?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

that might well do it or you could put in the spring compressor higher up to open the coil or even jack up the axle on the other side I have some deep offset ring spanners which fit nicely in I go in at the wider point and work back . Yes they are captive ( I did the RRC last month) nuts provided some rockape hasn't stripped the threads and I ran a tap through to clear the thread before I replaced them and greased liberally . Wait till you try to get the shockers off the front, joy unbounded. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:35:33 +0100, Paul - xxx enlightened us thusly:

can't hurt but watch the brake flexi hose.

and when you put the springs back, put 'em with the close-spaced coils atr the top. fecknose why they were assmebled the other way up.

the other thing to do is find the appropriate gap and wedge something in it to spread the coils apart.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My local LR mechanic reckons the easiest way is just to bend the plates/clamps up with a chisel rather than trying to undo the bolt. I tried to undo them once and sheared the bolts off!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yup, 'swot my local chap said too, just buy some new plates and bolts, so that's what we're gonna try next ... 'cept it won't be for a few weeks as we're away every weekend for the next few ... ;)

And ICBA to do it in my lunch hours ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Put the socket & extension bar inside the spring, then slip the 1/2 inch drive ratchet in whgere the spring as at the right height. Done it al least 4 times like that.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:33:11 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

I think I may have done summat similar. I also recall shearing one and having "fun" removing the remains. Put stainless bolts in when I replaced it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles