Rear View

Howdy Having scared the bejesus out of a few people now cutting them up as I change lanes in my Landy TD5 on the motorway to work, I've concluded that I really MUST do something about that god awfull blind spot in my rear view mirror. My Landies the van type so no side windows, just the rear door and two rear windows each side of it to look through. My mirror doesn't even cover the two side windows -just the door. Wing mirrors are man enough but what the hell is it with these crappy little RVM! Anybody found a decent size replacement that will fit on the same mounting without having to resort to those dubious clip on jobbies?

Suggestions gratefully received before I trash my nearside.

Dennis

Reply to
DB4

Take the RVM off! You'll then learn amazingly quickly to use the wing mirrors. That's what they're for!

Reply to
GbH

How do you do?

I've had a lump of ply in the hole where the door usually has glass for about two years now - in any case the 110 is usually full to the gunn'ls - no chance of seeing much through the rear. Position your n/s door mirror properly and use that - it's what its for

Having said all that, anyone undertaking a Land Rover deserves a swift side-swipe. The lesson may save their life (assuming it doesn't kill them).

Reply to
William Tasso

What are you whining about, I blocked off the two windows either side of the door on my series. What do you think the average artic driver has for a rear view, doesn't bear thinking about does it?

Reply to
Larry

Best piece of advice I ever had about driving behind a lorry was "if you can't see their wing mirrors, they can't see you". I apply this to all vehicles (on the basis that most car drivers are bloody blind anyway*) and thus far have avoided any collisions.

Stuart

  • Almost literally true in the case of one bloke I work with, who is a definite menace on the road - he reads by holding a piece of paper about two inches from his face, and drives with the windscreen in about the same position.
Reply to
Srtgray

With a canvas top on my 110, the rear transparent panel is no longer transparent other than during the night when I can see headlights. It's not unknown for me to just remove the rear view mirror, the wing mirrors are easily good enough to spot what's going on. Even when I have the canvas off and the rear view mirror functions properly, it's not much use for spotting vehicles coming up in lanes to either side, the wing mirrors are just the job.

Some people have them adjusted so that they can see the sides of the truck, not sure why as they're not going anywhere. Mine are adjusted specifically so I can see traffic in the lanes next to me. To see behind me I move my head.

Best thing to do is just to get used to checking your mirrors regularly so you have a good idea what's behind you. If you can't see if someone's overtaking you then you are doing something wrong, that's specifically what wing mirrors are for. It can be hard to see what's directly behind you sometimes, but not being able to see traffic in the lanes surrounding you is just very bad mirror technique.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:22:17 +0100, DB4 enlightened us thusly:

are we talking about a defender, here?

If so you can get the larger size mirror on a longer arm, as fitted to LDV

400 series vans.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

and that doesn't foul the visors?

Reply to
William Tasso

I suspect he's talking about the wing mirrors..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

What about the big mirrors on the military landrover so that you can see round the exterior spare tyre. At least it would give you a hand on the one side!

I know what you mean though, I towed an 8'6" wide boat from Pembs to Birmingham yesterday and they are crap to look out of. We do a lot of towing, in the end i've devised a technique of swinging to the left then right so you can see what's going on behind you.

You shouldn't need to do that without a trailer tho!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

On or around Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:52:06 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

have to admit, I was talking about the door mirrors, having not read the OP properly. still valid info though. I daresay there are bigger/better interior mirrors to be had for the interior one as well though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My problem is compounded by something I neglected to mention - I'm a short arse (have to move about further to see) and I've got restricted peripheral vision in my left eye following a corneral graft. I've got my nearside wing mirror set so I can get some nearside coverage when reversing into parking spaces so I don't hit anything (I cannot turn far enough to the left to cover the limits of my peripheral vision and still manage the clutch/brake) but this setup is leaving some area to my nearside uncovered.

Maybe I should ask around the dealerships and see if they can come up with anything?

Reply to
DB4

DB4 uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fit an extra mirror. Revering camera... side window in the hard top.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah, feeling a little more sympathetic now. Still think you should dispense with the interier mirror but mabe fit some double wing mirrors so you can set one as you have now for parking and the other to cover your blind spot. See them quite frequently on small lorries, sure they must be available for vans and the like, eh Austin?

Reply to
GbH

Double wing mirrors is an option I hadn't thought of! I was coming down to the same conclusion as Lee with the side window conversion in the hard top (aka county style) but this sounds a cheaper easier fix. Better start googling.....

Reply to
DB4

I bought a bucket load off one of our export customers

Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've just put two of those on the 101 off ebay so I won't ask the price.... but showing my arse is the convex the one that give you more view and make people look like they have big facial feature were they to use the mirror?

I could really do with replacing the glass if so ...not because I have a small nose but to afford better visibility on the pasenger side of Morph.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Does sound favourite. If you can't find them just yet then one of those tiny stick on jobbies will show movement if not detail.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:02:09 +0100, DB4 enlightened us thusly:

Find an LDV 400 (not a convoy) and have a look at the mirrors on the doors. Bigger glass area and a longer arm, might be of some use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:36:30 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

erm..

most of the lorries have a mirror mounting rail which runs up parallel to the door and is connected at the top. You could doubtless fit such a rail to a defender, though. I've seen 'em on some of the nipponese 4x4s. This allows of mounting extra mirrors.

Reply to
Austin Shackles