Reconditioned gearboxes

Hi,

Can anyone recommend somewhere that supplies reconditioned gearboxes for series 3 Land Rovers. I have already been told of a few places but with prices varying from £690 to £280 it seems a good idea to shop around first. I realise that the more expensive ones will probably have been reconditioned to a higher standard but how do I know this for sure.

Thanks

Liam Hoskin

Reply to
Liam

There used to be a place near me (Deeside, North Wales) called 'Land-Ranger Services' that sold pattern parts and accessories. They also had a shop in Wales somewhere and I know they have one in Middlewich, Cheshire. I bought a recon gearbox for about £240.00 for my old SeriesIII about 10 years ago. The gearbox was fine apart from a ball-bearing sticking when I'd been in reverse...easily resolved with a gasket.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

I recommend using Aschcroft transmissions in luton - their ones work!

***********************

Thanks for that, I found there website and sent them an email. If anyone is interested there website is

Thanks

Liam

'Land-Ranger

Reply to
Liam

Friend of mine shelled out a lot of dosh for an Ashcroft recon ZF4spd autobox. 3 years and 30,odd thousand later it's goosed!!! Swarf in the oil and all!! I know you'll be lucky to find an auto recon with more than 12,000 mile warranty but even so, it shouldn't suffer a catastrophic failure like that at that mileage - NOT if it was reconditioned properly, anyway! It ought to have been a perfect recon job, what it cost! Needless to say, I wouldn't go to ashcroft for an autobox and I'd be wary of anything else they'd built. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:18:57 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

[dodgy ashcroft 'box]

mind, mostly they get good reports.

'ere, what do you know about spares availability for the ZF 4HP22, and can you get the 2 special tools for replacing the kickdown cable (cable installer and control block re-setting thing) as described int the book of words?

I'm in 2 minds about what to do with the defunct 'box that's just come out of mine - assuming the control block is not buggered (which it might be, could be full of crud) it shouldn't be that hard to change all the clutches.

alternative is to keep it around here for a bit and then chop it in for a recon one as and when pennies are available.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

AFAIK, you can do the job without any "special" tools, rangie factory book shows how. Badger. (without mushrooms, Austin!)

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:05:26 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

the RAVE thing doesn't. shows a couple of funny little tools. In reality, I'm not that likely to take it apart; more likely to chop it in for an exchange one as and when the pennies are available. hehe.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LEGS in Oswestry give a fine service, had 2 of their's( different vehicles I hasten to add)

200TDi Disco 1990
Reply to
Merlin©