Re: Valley Gasket Leaks

Not seen this before. Anyone care to corroborate?

David

Reply to
rads

Bother.

> >Have replaced the valley gasket (and the c shaped rubber seals) and my >RR STILL throws out vast quantities of oil. Still fairly convinced >that oil is coming out via the valley gasket. > >Old valley gasket was peculiarly domed in one are, indication of >pressure build up underneath? > >Causes of pressure build up? > >1) Failing head gaskets or incorrectly torqued head bolts? Internet >wisdom seems to be to remove or torque the lower row of bolts to a >lower figure. Correct? > >2) Blocked breathers. Apparently there are three breathers, but I am >struggling to identify them. The one from the front of the left hand >rocker cover is obvious, where should I find the others? Have also had >good advice to check passeges in plenum are clear to ensure the >breathers are functioning. > >Anything else I should be looking for? > >TIA > >David

Are the valley gasket bolts the correct ones? I've seen somewhere that if you don't use the correct ones then it will leak. Dunno how to identify the right ones mind.

HTH

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

It does seem to be common recommendation to just put the outer 4 bolts in with some threadlock and just nip them up rather than torque them up. I would guess this is only any use at the same time as replacing the head gasket though - once it's leaking then messing with the bolts won't fix it.

One on each rocker cover, and one on the back of the valley in the block casting.

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:18:18 +0100, Paul Everett enlightened us thusly:

note that the one at the back is an inlet, and sometimes has a filter attached, usually similar to a small petrol filter. The 2 on the rockers suck fumes out into the inlet tract, or should.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Found it! The article I mean ... LRM October 2003, Page 100, and I quote -

"And here's where the problem was! This is the seal on the end of the valley gasket where it was leaking oil. The reason it was leaking was because the bolts hadn't been tightened down to the correct torque (they were all loose) and the wrong types of bolts had been used for the gasket retainers - just emphasising the necessity of using the correct bolts with the corrct fittings, which have been changed over the years by Land Rover"

No apologies from me for the grammar ... blame Lindsay Porter.

HTH

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

In message , Austin Shackles writes

And, depending on the block, the back one may be blanked with a core plug.

Reply to
AndyG