Relatively speaking, how do Landrovers hold their value?

I'm considering the LR3, and I'm conserned about quality and value retention. Any ideas?

Reply to
jattea

I think it depends for a start on what country you are in! Also, the LR3 is a completely new design, so it is unclear to what extent previous models can be used as a guide. JD

Reply to
JD

In Australia, nowhere near as well as a Toyota Land Cruiser.

I was offered A$18,000 by an LR dealership for my P38A late last year as a tradeon a Defender. $18K for a car that cost $116K in 1995!

Heck, In Britain the Freelander is the biggest selling 4WD. In Australia it's the worst selling 4WD (ok, it may sell better than the Indian TATA). And LRs in general have the worst sales figures of any of the brands. They don't even figure in the published sales figures each month.

The motoring magazines are only too quick to point out the quality issues. Australian motorists have long since given up expecting anything approaching a quality product out of British car factories.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

Quality is relative over time anyway and that is not why one buys a landie.

looking back at my series, considering mine was not a mothballed or lovingly maintained example, what else is there from the same date that has led a similar life from that era ?

It ain't the quality of the build I am buying into but the replacability of anything that needs it well after other manufacturers have junked there back catalogues.

Reply to
Larry
£ Î Z @ R Ð vaguely muttered something like ...

What's an LR3 ?

Personally, if you're more worried about residuals and values after you've used something for a while, then don't get a Landrover .. On the other hand, many Landrovers hold excellent values, and some even begin to appreciate .. but not many .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

LR's replacement for the Discovery. It's debuting in October. I'm in the States, so I'm not sure if it will go by a different name in other countries (i believe LR [or more probably, Ford] wants to shed the bad reputation Discoveries have regarding service, so they're giving it a new name)

Reply to
jattea
£ Î Z @ R Ð vaguely muttered something like ...

OK, cheers .. ;)

I run a '96 300 Tdi Discovery, so can't really comment on the newcomer, other than to say who cares what it's 'value' is, just drive the thing and enjoy it.

If you care about it's value, find someone local who loves Landrovers, and get to know them .. very well ... beer helps .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Known in the UK as Discovery 3, or some such. Never heard it referred to here as LR3, hence the confusion.

None of us would rate Land Rover's attitude to customer service here in the UK as brilliant, but we've heard some horror stories from your side of the water. I don't think it was that the Disco was bad, more that the "ownership experience" was lousy because of the poor/non-existent customer care in th US.

I've seen the first reports on the new Disco in this month's LRO, and I think it looks terrible, but that's another story.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well, i'm an LR newbie, and this new Disco has me excited... but I heard rumblings about how Ford wants to "address" service/maintenance problems in the Land Rover division, which tell me they'll be meddling with a beautiful unique machine and turning it into a Ford Explorer with a bump in the roof. So basically i want to get into one before Ford screws things up...

hence my question regarding value -- The LR3 has a 40,000 mile / 4 year warranty (of course, it'll probably only take me two years to blow through

40k miles!) ... If this thing starts falling apart at 50,000 miles, I don't want to be screwed on the resale..

But maybe it will just be worth it :-)

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
jattea

Most Land Rovers will leave their value on your drive...

Reply to
Mother

Ford one of the arch villains of the motor industry wants to turn Land Rovers into fords wants to turn Aston Martins into fords and Jaguars into fords.

Well last time Jaguar and Land Rover were together in a company it was called British Leyland, .... oh dear ...... mine dates from that era :(

Ford reliability might be one thing, but how long to they keep spares in there back catalogue, I started having problems with Mk II granada spares back in the 90's, ford do not expect there vehicles to last and are seriosly peeved if they do.

Reply to
Larry

Well the value of mine is that I can always find it in a car park.

Reply to
Larry

I can usually find bits of mine over _the_ car park...

Reply to
Mother

Not so at all. The new Discovery is an awesome machine and not built anywhere near a Ford Explorer.

I'd judge likely reliability against the reputation of the current Range Rover, and expect it to be better. That said, I'd wait for the second model year from any manufacturer to be sure of getting the initial niggles out of the way.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Arch villain? I think Ford's treatment of Jaguar, Volvo, AML and Land Rover is rather good. Lots of investment and an absolute revolution in the quality of product leaving the first three companies. I have a Ford V70 (sorry, Volvo) which is built on their P2 platform - so good that Ford are going to use it themselves. Apart from a nagging doubt about the transmission and a sticky cupholder it is absolutlely faultless.

The current Jaguars are a world ahead of the BL crap that they used to churn out. And Ford are the first owners to make a profit at Aston Martin in the companies entire history and producing one of the most pant-wetting cars in recent years.

Compared with GM (aren't they about to force Saab to sell a rebadged Subaru?) I think Ford are doing rather well with the PAG. Outside fo PAG, Mazda are turning out a class-leading car under their ownership.

You have to look at the design requirement of that car. It was marketing as a company exec, so expected to be run for 3 years then punted to an auction and be beyond keeping at about 6 years old. Companies keep spares based on market forces - how many old Ford trucks are still running in the States? I bet you can get spares for them very easily - just because their is a market for them. The same argument applies to bits for a 1990 Land Rover against a 1990 Shogun. There are so many of the former in UK that it is commercially viable to run a spares operation.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I guess I am just an atavist from Coventry who remembers when we built cars here. The largest volume producer in British ownership is now London Taxi's International notwithstanding the Nissan Engines.

It's difficult to say what I would do if you were to offer me the choice of a new Jag, and BL era one, neither is/was really built to last.

Wouldn't mind an old "auntie" Rover though,

Reply to
Larry

I agree, Ford has done well on improving certain issues on the A-M, L-R, and Jaguar brands, I just lament the Fordization of these historic unique monikers.... It's a trade-off -- I don't like seeing Ford Explorer door handles on a Discovery, or Lincoln climate control knobs in a Jaguar (both made-up examples..)

But I imagine the sum effect on those three brands has been positive...

Reply to
jattea