Removal of carbon from piston ring grooves

Does anybody have a good idea on how to remove the carbon from piston ring grooves without scratching them? I tried a broken piston ring to start with but it was too 'sharp' . The carbon needs to be softened and then removed with a softer material than the piston itself.

Also what is the best make of piston rings (Standard 300tdi) as I am not familiar with the suppliers on the market to date?

Tony G

Reply to
Griffith

Soak them for a few days, diesel seems to be as good as anything. Try grinding the end of the broken ring so that it is flat, less likely to do any damage that way.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

In message , Griffith writes

Give them a squirt of brake cleaner.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Back in my TAVR days we used to be told to use vinegar for cleaning the piston of our SLRs. I guess cordite fouling is largely carbon so it might work. Failing that, Coca-cola often gets a mention as a good cleaning agent but I don't know if it works on carbon.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

The traditional method is using a broken section of the old piston ring.

JD

Reply to
JD