Expert Eyes Wanted

I've got the Wonderbus's pistons out, looking for see if I need to replace the pistons and cylinders after last weekend's overheat situation.

I have posted a picture of the worst-looking piston at

I don't think I am looking at scuffing, but there are a couple of worrisome-looking scratches.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

The piston looks good in this shot. If the top is ok too, then all you have to do is clean it very good, replace the rings and reinstall it.

You have to thoroughlly clean the ring grooves from any carbon deposits, without scratching them. The actual sealing surface of the piston is the one between the top/bottom of the rings and the piston grooves, so pay attention not to scratch this surface. Do not use a screwdriver or other sharp metalic tool to clean these surfaces.

From the side, this piston does not show signs of damage due to overheating.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thank you, Bill!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Piston and cylinder seem to be fine. I'd reuse them. You didn't show a pic of the piston top however. Do the rings rotate freely?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

No sign of damage to piston tops, and rings all rotate freely.