Rescue 42 - JackMate(HiLift accessory)

A question mainly aimed at U.S. readers.

Does anyone have one of these things? If so, do they find it gets used a lot?

I was considering investigating the expense of getting one(or more) shipped over here(U.K.)

For that matter, does anyone know of a distributor in the U.K.?

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about-

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
HN

I reckon there will be someone in the UK selling these. To be honest, although it looks quite nice, being an 'all-in-one' device, I'd question the gimmick value. You can already use a hi-lift as a winch

- just buy some chain and a couple of small D shackles, you can also use it as a clamp 'as is', and I have one a few occasions used one as a log splitter. All of these applications involve a lot of hard work for very little return (especially so when 'winching').

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yes, but I only got it two weeks ago so not used it yet. I bought it because the Jackall "High Lift" doesn't have a top clamp.

I bought mine from

. It cost $40 plus $47.75 postage ( £49 at current exchange rates )

Not as far as I am aware.

Reply to
Adrian England

I have found I can acheive the same result with the ratchet strap and some small ( but sturdy) shackles to fit either end of the jack. The webbing on these straps is more than strong enough to handle a land Rover and the ratchet will take out all the slack giving you the four foot of pull. This may be tiresome if you are in a bog but usually you only need to pull the vehicle from a rut/off a tree/to face the right way etc.

Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

Thanks chaps.

I'm not looking at it primarily for the winching function, as I've already got that covered

having said that, the JackMate would perform the task of therack mounted shackle and grab hook(with reference to the above webpage), saving a little more space and weight! I want to increase the rating and improve the effectiveness of using the HiLift in a compressing and spreading roll, which I seam to do a lot. This would then release the original, thin top clamp which I reckon I could grind down to form a log splitting blade.

Additionally, the spikey, grippy foot arrangement(in conjunction with a substantial wood block) would, I imagine, be an improvement over the standard base which slips very easily, and is wobbly anyway. I can then do away with the(essential) wooden jack pad for soft ground as well.

It's just a darn shame no-one imports these at a realistic price!

Neil

Reply to
HN