Jeepers in Arizona A Question

My wife has always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon we have been married for

30+ years now and we are planning a 2 week trip from the east coast. A friend recommended Sedona and from there you can take day trips. We do not plan on doing the tourist stuff plane rides or tours and I plan on going out in my TJ to see the country that way. I have looked up Sedona and it appears to have some nice Bed and Breakfast joints with some beautiful views. I can't find anything on trails other than hiking trails or accessing the back country by 4x4. There a lot of scenic routes marked with some great views can you just take a left turn and ride the desert or a right depending which way you swing. From everything I have found on GOOGLE Sedona is supposed to be one of the best areas to visit. My wife's idea of camping is a B&B with maid service so camping is out and so is trail hiking. If God wanted us to walk he would not given us the know how to make a Jeep. Open for some realistic ideas.
Reply to
HarryS

twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sedona has some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet. There are lots of B&Bs, and there are trails galore. I suggest you stay at a B&B and drive to the Grand Canyon on a day trip.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey HarryS,

Go here

and find a club close towhere you want to visit. Most 4wd clubs in AZ will volunteer to trailguide you on a run during your visit. They can also recommend the bestplaces to stay during your visit. Yeah, Sedona is a great place, but I'mnot too sure there is much four wheeling in the area due to environmentalistlobbying to protect the area. I used to belong to the Range Riders in Sierra Vista, AZ. A great club and alot of great four wheeling throughout SE AZ.

Scott 91YJ

Reply to
reconair

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Thanks just what the Doc ordered.

Reply to
HarryS

Harry, When you get to Sedona, the shops abound with area maps of offroad routes to the various sights.

You may benefit from burning the midnight oil ahead of time, but I am pretty sure you can roll into town, get checked into your room, and find your way to the traihead within a few minutes of finishing breakfast. At the very least, you can tag along behind the Pink Jeep Tour's pink Jeeps. Sedona is a giant offroad adventure, and the maps are so much to get you to cool stuff to see, but to help you find the pavement again so you can get back to your B&B.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks, we are also going to head up to the northern rim of the Grand Canyon but getting there is half the adventure. It has been one of my wife's things on her to do list ever since she was a kid and mine is the off road part so it kills two birds with one stone. I do not know when the tourist season is or if it does not matter but we intend to get our ducts in a row and go next April. Saving our pennies to make it a memorable trip. I do not under stand why anyone would travel outside the USA because there is so much to see here.

Reply to
HarryS

Shoot Nena an email, here is her web site:

is a member of our club and will hook you up with whatever you need.

--James

Reply to
RocknCJ

I'm afraid you might find very cold temps at the North Rim in April, and you will probably find snow. Dress warm. I am not sure, you should look in to this, but the North Rim might not even be open that time of year. With Fed budget cuts and that sort of thing, they may close the North Rim in winter. The North Rim, even in summer, gets way less visitors than the South Rim.

The North Rims is considerably higher than the South Rim, so it will be colder. Sedona is even lower than the South Rim, and the region is generally warmer so you should find mild temps that time of year.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks a lot for the info.

Reply to
HarryS

Thanks, I have to say one thing this group is the best.

Reply to
HarryS

Harry,

I'd recommend a side trip to Jerome. Its an interesting town in itself, but the old railroad line that served the mines has been converted to a jeep trail. Makes a nice day trip. Its basically just a dirt road. My trip report:

Mark

Reply to
MCD

I second the motion ...

Jerome is an old mining town right out of the movies, and that's just the part you can get to with the family sedan and a pair of flip-flops.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III