Reverse light switch problems

Hi,

I have a 5 speed '96 D1 w/ 79k miles. The reverse light switch is giving me some trouble by not "staying on" when in reverse. If I push the shifter to the passenger side while in reverse, the light will light. When left to it's own tensions (more towards center) the switch does not activate the light.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem or should I replace the switch? If replace, does anyone know where on this tranny to find the switch and how easy or difficult is it to RR a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

PS: Thanks for posting the info about fixing Cruise Controls, just did it and it worked GREAT!! TMO

Reply to
Tom Owen

I think the switch is adjustable, it's on a thread so try screwing it further into the gearbox, but not too far as it can restrict going into reverse..

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

Thanks Tom,

WOuld I want to screw it out, rather than in, so the throw is closer to the shift lever? Also, where on this tranny would I find the reverse switch?

Thanks!

Tom Owen

In article , Tom Owen writes

Discovery or Defender?

The Defender one is on the back upper left of the gearbox, easily accessible by removing the cover plate below the front middle seat. If the Disco gearbox is the same, it should be in the same place...

The Haynes book and official Land Rover destructions both say to screw it in by the _minimum_ amount necessary.

Fixed mine at the w/e, but the problem was wiring. On the Defender, it's easy to connect the connectors to the fuse box (with a jumper lead), to test the bulb circuit, and that the switch is getting +12V. There's a good earth point there within 18." If you take the switch out, count the turns!

HTH

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around 1 Oct 2003 20:45:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tomowen.net (Tom Owen) enlightened us thusly:

HBOL reports 2 locations for the switch, depending on transmission type. You should have an R380 on yours (reverse opposite 5th), in this case the switch is in the lefthand side of the transfer box casing, towards the top, looking at the pictures. Access probably easiest from underneath - it doesn't mention adjustment for this type, but it may still be possible.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Tom,

I had the same problem, and also thought it was the switch, I replaced it but without any luck, and then was told about a bit of metal (the best way to describe it) in the top of the gearbox, when I got to it the bit that touches the switch was worn.and so causing the problems you describe.

This part is not too expensive, about a £5 (I think) and to get to it, you need to take away the centre console, and remove the bits that hold the gear leaver in, and look into the top of the box, and you will see the bit of metal that strikes the switch, and if I am right it will be worn, replace it and it will cure the problem ! and as they say refit parts in reverse order !!

Steve Wright.

Reply to
RADIOTWO
1996 US Discovery