Changing key fob batteries P11 Primera 1.6Si/ Infiniti G20

I need to change the batteries in the key fob as the central locking is not working (3years plus since last battery change) I understand the immobiliser uses the key fob for authentication.

As car is off road and this is last set of keys which has not lost coding I am concerned about losing the code.

Should I change them with the engine running or would this not make much of a difference?

Also can I get spare key/fobs coded to match working key without taking the vehicle into dealers?

I would imagine your FOB works like the older American counterparts. If so, then there is nothing special to do in order to change the battery (engine running, etc.).

As for the procedure to match a new FOB to your system, you should be able to do it relatively easily but each vehicle has a different method of `learning' procedure and I'm afraid I don't know the one for your vehicle. Perhaps someone else around here does.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

In message , Z writes

If you take the fob apart, the active bit for the ignition is a little blue module , nothing to do with any battery. The key will work just fine as long as the car battery is in good condition. So worry not, just start the car every few weeks to keep the car in condition. Change the key fob battery when you're going to start using it again.

Reply to
Clive